Did You Know?

Baldrick
Topics: 99
Kudos: 1,141
Ideas: 8
Solutions: 88

Re: wrdata folder

Uninstalled & then reinstalled WRSAE and that seems to have sorted out the issue as has been advised both here & at Wilders. :smileyhappy:

Small tip, if not already mentioned elsewhere; export settings BEFORE uninstall and then import them back AFTER reinstall.  Has no effect on wrdata folder size and saves you a lot of time trying to remember & returning the settings to as they were (and how you liked them). :smileywink:

Balders

Expert Advisor

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete 2014 Beta Tester v8.0.4.70...+ VoodooShield v1.30....working together as the NEW perfect combination!
Please use plain text.
New Voice
snake

Thanks Baldrick,,

I sure wish Webrood would figure out a way for the data folder to stop growing so large. They talk about the small size of the program, but this problem sort of makes that misleading. It appears to be a data base much like all the rest of the antivirus programs. Maybe they will get the message and figure out something different.

Thanks again,,,

snake

Please use plain text.
Baldrick

Hi snake

No problem.  We must trust in Joe (PrevxHelp) & his team to resolve the issue.  They always have and I am sure that if there is a way for them to do so without compromising WRSA's effectiveness, etc., then they will. :smileyhappy:

Balders

Expert Advisor

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete 2014 Beta Tester v8.0.4.70...+ VoodooShield v1.30....working together as the NEW perfect combination!
Please use plain text.
Retired Webrooter
Retired Webrooter
Kit

I'm going to add an Official Voice here.

The WRData folder (Located under the appropriate System App Data location for the OS) contains the operational parameters of the software as well as all working sets.  For AV, it contains all quarantined files as well as all journalling information from unknown/monitored processes, configuration, logs, etc.  With WSAE and WSAC it also contains the Sync/Backup and Password components repsectively.

Quarantined data is obviously kept until deleted from Quarantine.  All Logs and Journalling data is kept for a time period and then automatically cleaned up.  This cleanup can be triggered by age and also by the unknown items being registered as Good.  Upgrade installs will never clean this up, since the Journalling data is critical to the ability to roll back infection actions in the case of an unknown being determined to be bad.

If you pkg directory is Big, that is the Extra Stuff (Password and Sync).  It should normally start at about 70-80 MB for a WSAC installation and is primarily affected by sync data.

If your dbl.db file is getting Very Big™, that is quarantine.  Stop finding threats. :smileywink:

If your dbp.db file is Really Big, much stuff is being monitored.  You can ask Support for assistance with cloud determinations specifically for your PC.  This data is cleaned up automatically as well.

Huge ace files mean that really-complicated threat actions were rolled back.

So the location of the size offenders gives the key to what caused them.  Have specific files that are Really Big?  Let me know.

Kit - Prior Webroot Quality Assurance / Prior Webroot Escalation Engineer

Please use plain text.
Baldrick

Hi Kit, thanks for a very informative & helpful response. WIll you be able to do the same over at Wilders where the topic has also been debated or should one of us munchkins do so instead?

Cheers

Balders

Expert Advisor

Please use plain text.
New Voice
snake

Hi Kit,,

I had a call from webroot a couple of days ago,,,,they want to take a look at mine to determine what is going on,,,they  told me it is NOT normal for the size of the folder to grow so large. It is supposed to be transfered to the cloud and then deleted from the pc system.  We shall see!

Thanks ,,

snake

Please use plain text.
Retired Webrooter
Retired Webrooter
Kit

Balders - We Webroot folks are sticking to the Community here for the most part.  Though I have lurked at Wilders for months (I was previously the person handling all of the Beta testing tickets), we're trying to avoid spreading ourselves too thin.  Plus, think of the reaction there would have been at Wilders if some "silly Webroot person" invaded Joe and TH's stomping grounds. :smileywink: 

Please do feel free to forward the information over there though, with the understanding that it's subject to change (for example, I haven't seen res####.db files in weeks).

Snake - While it is true that it's not "normal", it's not impossible and not abnormal.  (I'd hope I have some idea what I'm talking about, since prior to QA, I was an Escalation Engineer. ^.^ )  For example, an unknown toolbar DLL injected into a browser will cause the WRData folder to grow to several hundred MB in short order from normal browsing.  A brand new, unknown copy of a torrent client will have an even more dramatic growth effect.  Also noteworthy that "should be sent to the cloud and then deleted" is halfway accurate.  As long as the item is marked as Unknown, your computer will keep a local journal for rollback purposes.  It only gets cleaned up once the item in question is determined to be good, and that process is not instant.  We'd have to find out from dev what the precise rules are for cleanup and database compacting, however I do know that it can take up to a month.  In general, the correction involves determining what the cause is and addressing that cause (Determintaions on unknowns, Quarantine, sync bloat, etc).

Normally I'd just pull up your ticket, but this new community system doesn't allow me to see email addresses, so I have no good way to locate ticket or logs (assuming they exist).  As such I will simply need to hope it's addressed well. :smileyhappy:

Kit - Prior Webroot Quality Assurance / Prior Webroot Escalation Engineer

Please use plain text.
Baldrick

[ Edited ]

Hi Kit

OK, thanks for clarifying. I understand what you are saying and agree...certainly do not want to tread on either Joe's or TH's toes :smileysad:.

Cheers

Balders

Expert Advisor

Please use plain text.
New Voice
snake

Webroot support logged on my system yesterday and fixed the wrdata folder problem. Now we will monitor it, and see if the fix holds. The Webroot support team does a great job and my compliments to them.

Snake

Please use plain text.
TripleHelix
Topics: 401
Kudos: 3,254
Ideas: 5
Solutions: 420

[ Edited ]

I agree support is at it's best now, keep up the great work Webroot! :smileyvery-happy:

TH

coollogo_com-133794099.gif

asapvip.png   SigSVIP.png    Sr.Expert Advisor Jan 23 2014.png

Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete 2014 Beta Tester v8.0.4.70 on my main system Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit & on Win XP 32bit, Win Vista 32bit, Win 7 32bit, Win 8.1 Pro 32bit & 64bit all on VM's. 

MVP.gif.pngMicrosoft® MVP Consumer Security 2012/15

New to the Community? Register now and start posting!

Please use plain text.