Solved

Some Serious problems on Mac running 10.9.x

• 5 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Ok, according to your website, Webroot Wifi Security should run on Mac 10.9.x. So I downloaded the dmg file, dragged the app to Applications and launched it. Many of the apps buttons and images are garbage, looking like static rather than images. The connect button is missing as well. The icon in the menu bar looks like a box of white static. If I hover around the connection screen, I can find the missing buttons because the cursor changes to a button press cursor when over the "missing" button. If I press it, it connects. BUT, connections speeds are almost non-existent on 10.9, failing to sometimes even connect, but even when connected, speeds are in bytes per second. (As a test, I ran on the same Wifi network using my Android phone, and speeds were good enough to stream videos.) I have screen captures of the apps window but I see no way to attach them here. But I would say regardless of what this page (https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/vpn-wifi-security) it seems that you don't properly support those earlier versions of MacOS. At least, no 10.9.x anyway. (The app works find on both my High Sierra and Mojave machines.) And yes, I deleted it and downloaded it again, with the exact same results. The download was obtained on this page: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/wifi-installer-download Anyone else seeing problems on earlier versions of MacOS? Cheers
icon

Best answer by pstonethompson 5 December 2018, 12:38

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
I am going to urgently make enquiries about support for you @ - I will also send you an direct message so that you can send me those screenshots.

I don't work on the client team, especially not for Mac, but I will get them across to people who do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks. I was not the beta for the project but never tried it on my travel machine, which runs an older OS. I am in France right now on a lot of Wifi networks, so it seemed important. That is how I discovered this. When I see the PM, I will send you the screen captures. Cheers, and thanks for the quick reply.
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
The initial responses I have had is that it is supported on 10.10 and above, and that matches with what I can see at https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/vpn-wifi-security

I am trying to see on the website where support for 10.9.x is cited - do you have a URL or screenshot?
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
@ I think what might have happened here is you looked at the left column under "PC & Mac Requirements" and saw the supported operating system for our Mac antivirus client and (not unreasonably) misread that as the requirements for WiFi Security which are in the column on the far right of that page. This is listed as "OS X 10.10 (Yosemite®) and newer".

I am going to get in touch with the team that look after the website as that is definitely confusing on a page specifically referring to Webroot WiFi Security.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
@ wrote:
@ I think what might have happened here is you looked at the left column under "PC & Mac Requirements" and saw the supported operating system for our Mac antivirus client and (not unreasonably) misread that as the requirements for WiFi Security which are in the column on the far right of that page. This is listed as "OS X 10.10 (Yosemite®) and newer".

I am going to get in touch with the team that look after the website as that is definitely confusing on a page specifically referring to Webroot WiFi Security.
Indeed I may have, and I might also have looked at it on a tablet or phone so I was not even seeing another column. 

But I have to agree, if I go to a page for the requirements for a specific product, placing other product specs and requirements on the same page is, as we have just witnessed, quite confusing. And I looked at it multiple times!  :-)

Thanks for letting me I know it isn’t even supposed to work. So I will change this from multiple bugs, to ONE BUG: If you do not support an operating system, do not let us install on that system. Yes, I know you use a drag and drop install instead of an installer, but the App should immediately pop up a message and warn the use that the current OS is not supported.

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +17
I will defer to the wisdom of our UX team for this one, but having a warning indicating that the operating system is not supported and asking the user if they wish to continue may present a better user experience.

I will mention this to the product team and Mac client team on our next call.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.