wrPhreshPhish.dll

• 6 December 2013
  • 6 replies

Sometimes when opening up Windows 7 I get a message telling me I cannot open because missing is wrPhreshPhish.dll. I simply click OK and move on. I find on Google that this is a dynamic link library from Webroot, which we have installed on our home PCs, but a search on Webroot turns up no results. Can anyone tell me what this is and whether we need this "dynamic library link"? LeoAbroad

6 replies

Userlevel 7
This is a Webroot .dll and is part of our new Web Filtering Extension that is being rolled out. It involves phishing protection utilizing the Webroot Intelligence Network and BrightCloud URL filtering.
The thing is you knnow what the thing is, but why does the message come up like I'm supposed to do something about it? Mostly, when a message appears on my PC, I'm supposed to do something about it else it's my fault later on. Since 1995 when I joined AOL, It seems as though problems that are my fault get treated with disdain. Not, so far, by WR... still, I doubt if any computer User cares much who's fault a thing is -- mostly, I just want it fixed. If it's my fault a simple explanation of how I caused this thing would be valuable information. Making me feel small and computer unintelligent only makes me angry. 

So: why does the message about this .dll appear and what do I do about it? Why can't my PC find it? 

Thank you for protecting my computer. I've used WR for like, 3 years now and I only miss the graphic show of the scans.
Evelyn M
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I think @ mis-read your message. I've paged him.
I would have phrased the issue differently but I agree with Lucy, like me, a new member. I'm irritated when I boot up and a window tell's me something is wrong and dishes out gibberish "sp*ruzspring.exe" or some such and directs me to an MS labyrinth for a "solution" which is of no help at all, merely frustrating! I can also thank Webroot for trouble-free protection, now beginning our third year with this security system. On the specific issue I wrote about last December, Mike told me what this wrPreshPhish.dll is and wrote that this dynamic link library would come with the automatic renewal of our Webroon subscription around that time. This seemed to be the case so I deleted this reply which included a remedy if the widow message continued popping up. Now I'm getting it again, the message telling me I cannot open because this ".dll" is missing so I would be grateful if Mike or someone else could come back to me with the original solution posted in early December. Cheers, LeoAbroad 
Did we ever get an answer to this? I bought a new PC and am now having the same issue.
I'm getting this now too. (August 2015). I've seen it at least once before, but it's been long enough that I couldn't say if it was months or a year ago. I've found only two posts on search engines other than from process checkers. The other post suggested doing a fresh upload - getting the software key, completely removing webroot, then doing a fresh install. I agree that it's frustrating when a company's support people don't explain why an issue has happened, or how to fix it. While at least the reply to the other post gave a suggestion that might correct the problem on their system, it doesn't give any indication that the company is dealing with the issue, or provide the user with any reasonable information on how to avoid having the problem again. Really? Uninstall your protection, then dig up your license key and open a browser to re-download the program? That's not a solution. That's an indication that something is broken in the software that webroot either doesn't know how to fix, or doesn't care to. BTW - I am running windows 7, and my computer restarted itself after an automatic update. Anyone else? Maybe a clue about what's going on?