Solved

my firewall and identity shield will not enable

• 27 September 2012
  • 9 replies

even though i am running secureanywhere, i picked up some malware yesterday. thankfully malwarebytes cleaned it.  now i notice that my firewall and identity shield are disabled and i can not get them to turn on.  

then i signed into my account and see that webroot hasn't been tracking my computer scans since march (my second pc's information is current).

how do i get the firewall and identity shield to enable and why is my machine not reporting/being logged by webroot?
icon

Best answer by JimM 27 September 2012, 16:37

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Esquireski,

We've seen a few reports of the firewall and identity shield being disabled after the update to 8.0.2.14.  We are still investigating why this is occurring.  However, we have a quick workaround that has been shown to resolve the problem.  To apply it:

1. Open up WSA
2. Go to My Account
3. Click "Copy to clipboard" next to your keycode
4. Click "Activate a New Keycode"
5. Paste the same keycode you just copied to the clipboard into the line
6. Click "Activate"

Malwarebytes is actually known to flag inert leftovers from prior malware or things like log files or leftover registry entries that don't actually point at anything anymore as malware itself, so it's possible that what it found wasn't actually malware at all.  It also does a full scan by default, rather than WSA's deep scan.  So if there malware hiding in a file that had no reasonable chance of being opened, Malwarebytes could have picked it up where WSA's scans would have intentionally not scanned there to begin with.  The reason for that is that if you have a piece of unactivated malware sitting on your hard drive that has not ever been executed and will not ever be executed unless you tell it to run, WSA would pick it up anyway if you ever did tell it to run.  WSA knows what is going to run automatically on your system by inspecting the parts of Windows that control those kinds of automated executions.  So it won't waste time during scans looking for malware it would ultimately catch anyway.
Thank you for the work around.  Shield and firewall are on now.

Just to let you know, it wasn't dormant/left over malware.  The malware took over my computer.  Had to force quit and reboot into safe mode and run the other program.

Again, thanks for the reply and work around.
Hello there,
I just tried this various times, but it won't work. I woud like to know if there is anything else I can do to enable them?

Please & Thank You.
Userlevel 7
Hi Karina,

Are you sure it's the Firewall and Identity Shield that are acting up for you?  Perhaps it's a different shield?  There is another workaround for the Offline Shield that has been discussed here.

If you're sure it's the Firewall and Identity Shield, there is another way of resolving the problem, but it would require support intervention.  In which case, it would be best to open a support ticket, making sure to note that reactivating the same keycode did not resolve the problem.
Completely sure. There's nothing wrong with the Offline Shield, that one's on.

Thanks for your help, and I will be sure to open a support ticket.
I also am having a problem with my Firewall and Identity Shield. I have tried what you said above about reactivating the same keycode but everytime I try it says: "Error:FZL2222:A replacement key code has been issued and must be used with this product line."
I have tried several times to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, but unfortunately nothing has changed. Help!
Userlevel 7
Hey fatal_fey,

Can you please [b]fatal_fey's issue has been resolved by entering their keycode alias.
I purchase webroot secureanywhere from computer repair store for $20 for one year, sign up, it scans automatically to get rid of malware or other viruses, runs perfect but my subscription does not active and did not count down on 365 days but my cell phone does count down to 364 days. i did not brought it at walmart, bestbuy, or ebay,just a computer repair store. I put the same keycode and it scans as always but still not active my subscription. it active the subscription of my cellphone. please help me.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I purchase webroot secureanywhere from computer repair store for $20 for one year, sign up, it scans automatically to get rid of malware or other viruses, runs perfect but my subscription does not active and did not count down on 365 days but my cell phone does count down to 364 days. i did not brought it at walmart, bestbuy, or ebay,just a computer repair store. I put the same keycode and it scans as always but still not active my subscription. it active the subscription of my cellphone. please help me.
Hello Jimmy1982 and welcome to the Webroot Community!

There can be a number of things going on here.  There are several different Mobile apps, and one of them is free and does not require any PC version or key code.  It will activate for 365 days upon install as far as I know.  For more information regarding the Mobile apps, please see This Thread.  NOTE that if you have WSA-AV (As I assume you do as you posted in the AV forum), that it is that free mobile app which you would be using.

As for your PC install which is not activating the subscription, that might be a little more complicated.  I know you said you did not buy your copy at Best Buy, but I am going to ask this anyway.  I have seen situations in which a local computer repair shop purchased multiple copies of the Best Buy Subscription Version with the intent to resell them, not realizing that this does not work correctly.  On the back of your box, probably at the lower left hand corner, is there a Best Buy Serial Number that begins with "WBR00"?  Or on the front of the box is there a label or sticker that says the software is activated upon sale or by the sales register?

If the answer to the above is YES, that is why.  If the answer is NO to the above, keep reading :)

OK, next question.  Have you tried to activate the Online Account Console for your software?  This really is not required to install and activate the software on your PC, but failing to be able to might indicate a problem with the Key Code.

Next check your key code very carefully.  I have seen a LOT of situations in which the key code is simply being entered incorrectly.  More times than we both can count together I have the following character pairs being confused for each other: 0 and O, I (Capital i)and 1, l (Capital I) and I (lower case L), l (Lower case L) and 1, B and 8, 5 and S.

If you have double checked that key code, and are positive it is correct, you may want to Submit a Trouble Ticket and have Support take a look at things.

Maybe someone else with have additional thoughts on this as well..... TH do you have any additional ideas?