Billion devices could be controlled with built-in management tools by hackers

• 4 August 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
by paganinip on August 4th, 2014

Security researchers have discovered that billions mobile devices could be remotely controlled due the presence of a built-in management tool.

Two researchers at Accuvant Labs, Mathew Solnik and Marc Blanchou, have recently discovered the existence of built-in vulnerabilities in a large number of mobile devices that would allow an attacker to gain complete control of the smartphone.
The researchers also provided a few details on the attack scheme which is based on a rogue base station (femtocell) and needs that a mobile device its proximity, the security flaw is related to a device management tool carriers and manufacturers embed in the majority of mobile devices for remote assistance.

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
So.............this management tool that is built in can it be deactivated?? Or removed by the manufacturer???
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That is a scary one.  And impersonating a cell tower is quite cheap in terms of the hardware you need.
Userlevel 6
All the more reason for me to stick with my non Android, non iOS phone. I have been looking to change carriers and checking out phones. Not!