List of free Security Tools from Microsoft

• 29 January 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Microsoft recently kicked of a blog series to cover all the security tools being offered by them on the Microsoft Security Blog. These tools deserve respect as these programs keep your system malware-free and protected.

Free Security Tools from Microsoft

Apart from Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender in Windows 8, the  free antivirus software downloads from Microsoft, which most of us are familiar with, Microsoft offers many more security tools for home users, network administrators and IT Pros. This list provides a summary of such useful tools.

Full Article

Note: May be of interest as I have not used any of these other than the Malicious Software Removal Tool...but only via WIndows Update...does any one in the Community use of any of these?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
I`d use some of the them but there are other 3rd party tools that do more and are also free. But kudos to MS for releasing them!
Userlevel 7
Hi Roy

Thanks for the insight.  Are there any that, despite what you say, you would suggest that we include on the Tools List that DavidP maintains...if any worthy canda=idates are not already included therein?

Thanks

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Check MSE's latest results here, at the bottom:

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/novdec-2013/

Today I visited a small company which had MSE on all their computers, every single one of them had over 90 viruses. Mind you, the OS was Windows 7 fully updated.

I then made them purchase a 5 user Endpoint Lincesne for Webroot valid for 3 years, upon the initial scan, webroot removed every single one of those viruses and now they're clean!

I would rather use no protection than use MSE or Windows Defender

PS: I've had so many similar experiences with MSE it's one awful product which shouldn't even be classifed as a security product, more like a placebo security that does absolutely nothing