Critical Patch Update: Java 7/ Java 8 - July 15, 2014

• 16 July 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Oracle Critical Patch Update Advisory - July 2014

Description

A Critical Patch Update (CPU) is a collection of patches for multiple security vulnerabilities. Critical Patch Update patches are generally cumulative, but each advisory describes only the security fixes added since the previous Critical Patch Update advisory. Thus, prior Critical Patch Update advisories should be reviewed for information regarding earlier published security fixes. Please refer to:
Critical Patch Updates and Security Alerts for information about Oracle Security Advisories.

If your using 64bit system be sure to download both 32bit & 64bit versions!

Download Java SE Runtime Environment 8u11: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Download Java SE Runtime Environment 7u65: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

Be sure to uncheck any unwanted add-ons during install if offered!

Daniel

5 replies

Userlevel 7
The following article is a update on Java update on Java 7

(Security Updates for Java 7 Will Work on Windows XP: Oracle)

By Eduard Kovacs on July 15, 2014 Oracle has clarified that future security patches for Java 7 will still work on Windows XP, but pointed out that it can no longer provide "complete guarantees" for the software because the operating systems is no longer supported by Microsoft.
Microsoft officially stopped providing technical support and security updates for Windows XP on April 8 and it has been trying to convince customers ever since to migrate to a current supported operating system to ensure that their computers are protected against cyber threats.
In an FAQ published on the Java website at the beginning of July, Oracle informed customers that they can continue to use Java 7 updates on Windows XP at their own risk, but noted that support will only be provided for Windows Vista or later. The com SecurityWeek/ Full Read Here/ http://www.securityweek.com/security-updates-java-7-will-work-windows-xp-oracle 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just installed the updated today.  The Ask toolbar checkbox still makes me angry - grrrrr.
Userlevel 7
Unless you need it I`d advise uninstalling it. 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I agree. However I use software that requires it so I have it disabled in my browsers. Anything that requires Java to view will be an empty space, if I really want to see it, I can enable it for the one time only using Aviator and with the others, like IE, I have it set to ASK.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Very true Roy and even keeping it updated there will always be holes but we can have a piece of mind running WSA and if an Exploit gets passed WSA and runs it can be reverted to the pre-infection state after detection. I sleep quietly...........! ;)

Thanks,

Daniel