Solved

Webroot Scan vs Norton Scan

Userlevel 3
Hi!

When Norton scanned my computer, there were more than 300,000 files scanned.  Webroot scans less than 80,000.  Why is this so?

Thank you very much!
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 22 July 2014, 02:31

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Amarjose and welcome to the Webroot forums!

The reason for the difference is because Norton (along with most other AV's) scans almost every single file there is - even if it isn't a file type that could cause immediate harm. Webroot scans the files which may present an imediate threat like .exe files. This is also why the scan takes less time.

Hope this helps :D

Shran
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Hi!

When Norton scanned my computer, there were more than 300,000 files scanned.  Webroot scans less than 80,000.  Why is this so?

Thank you very much!
Welcome Ambarjose!

It's important to remember that Webroot works differently from almost all of its competition. Except for a very tiny collection of signatures for specific problem viruses, it relies totally on monitoring process behavior and correlating that behavior with data from its immense cloud database. That same behavior monitoring lets it identify which other files are owned by the threat. Its quite impressing that it can manage a top-notch cleanup job without the baggage of a signature database.
Userlevel 3
Thank you!
Userlevel 7
You are quite welcome!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
You are quite welcome!! And Thank you Shran for saying Your Welcome!! :D
@ wrote:
Thank you!
:D
Userlevel 3
Thank you and thank you!
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Thank you!
Welcome to the community Ambarjose, glad to have you here!

Happy to see that Shran and Sherry were able to help you!

Please come back often, browse around and share your experiences with us.

Anytime you need assistance, feel free to ask us or contact our tech support team. You can contact them 24/7 by subbmiting a support ticket.

Enjoy the community!

Beth
Userlevel 3
Thank you, Beth.
Userlevel 6
My pleasure!
@ wrote:
Thank you, Beth.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well this is all I have to say "The Webroot Intelligence Network determines over 200,000 files per day!"  😃 Oh and I forgot Welcome to the Webroot Community!

TH

Userlevel 3
Thank you!!
Userlevel 7
If there is anything that is better than Webroot Intelligence Network
(and that is extremely doubtful) its NOT OF THIS EARTH
Userlevel 7
@
Welcome to the Community.:)