Beware Apple iMessage app for Android is a dangerous fake

• 29 September 2013
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
A fake Apple iMessage app for Android OS has been published on official Google Play app store for around one month and totaling at least 10000 downloads.

The app has been pulled from Google Play according to a Google spokesperson, but it is still available on numerous third party sites, including download.com. The fake iMessage app for Android allows users to interact with Apple users, but it stealthy elaborates users’ data on the developer’s server hosted in China.

The author of the App managing the hosting server is able to read all message content, user credentials and possible Apple ID account information including credit card numbers.

Full article

Be very careful what you are installing on your Android device!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Petr I still say that Apple should allow Security Vendors to protect the iOS devices to help to keep them secure from malicious Apps.

Daniel
Userlevel 5
There are a small number of vendors, Webroot being one of them, that protect those devices. The problem is the way iOS works and so very few products exist that work in the same way as their Android counterparts.
Userlevel 7
Folks, just to be completely clear. The problem is not with Apple devices but with Androids. iMessage on Apples is not plagued. Only application iMessage for Android is a dangerous fake.
Userlevel 7
Point well taken Petr and thank you for the info!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes I see now as I reread it thanks Petr!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
You're welcome friends! :D

iMessage is a native messenger application in iOS of Apple and its communication is encrypted and secured enough.

However iMessage for Android is a fake application that allows Android users to interact with Apple users, but it stealthy elaborates users’ data on the developer’s server hosted in China. This gives the author of the application full access to messages content.
Userlevel 7
@
Thanks for the info. Gonna stay away from any iMessages for Android.