You have a Skype voicemail. PSYCHE! It's just some fiendish Trojan-flinging spam

• 28 November 2013
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
A spam run of fake Skype voicemail alert emails actually comes packed with malware, a UK police agency warns.

Action Fraud said the zip file attachments come contaminated with a variant of the notorious ZeuS banking Trojan.

Messages typically come with the subject line “You received a new message from Skype voicemail service”. The emails contain a copyright notice and a disingenuous warning that "Skype staff will NEVER ask you for your password via email", all in a bid to appear genuine.

"The purpose of this email is to get you to download the attached 'voicemail' file, and according to email security company MXLab it contains a Zeus Trojan," Action Fraud warns. An alert by the agency contains the tale of the sneaky spam alerts.

Full Topic

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Then............................you obviously do not have your Skype configured properly!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Then............................you obviously do not have your Skype configured properly!
Is that sarcasm or humor?  (Sorry, it has been a long day and I am a bit dense 🙂  )

The message is not coming from Skype at all: it is a spam email like the ones that claim to be from American Express or FedEx that we have heard much about recently.  They contain what attempts to appear like a normal legit attachment from the company, but they did not come from that company at all and contain a malicious payload.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
acooldozen ....... re-read what Jasper-The Rasper has said.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
"Is that sarcasm or humor? (Sorry, it has been a long day and I am a bit denseIs that sarcasm or humor? (Sorry, it has been a long day and I am a bit dense"

No. I am the one that is a bit Dense! I didn't read past the ''Skype Voicemail'' thingy.
Userlevel 7
Thanks Jasper for the warning. :D

It always repeats in the same way ... you've got an email with a URL link or with attachment, either executable (*.exe) or compressed (mostly *.zip, less occurs *.rar) file(s), or the mail contains the both and regardless what is subject, you're prompted to click on the link or open the attached file.

I wonder whether any new way of infiltration via mail messages is gonna to be used by hackers in future. Well, until the world is full of "happy clickers", probably no need to change anything. :D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
"Is that sarcasm or humor? (Sorry, it has been a long day and I am a bit denseIs that sarcasm or humor? (Sorry, it has been a long day and I am a bit dense"

No. I am the one that is a bit Dense! I didn't read past the ''Skype Voicemail'' thingy.

No worries 🙂  I have done the same thing.. and I was worried that I had yet again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

Everyone picking on Lyle? They are harmless they don't know you like I do. :D

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
No worries Daniel.......................they were justified! :$
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Everyone makes mistakes and I'm just teasing you I hope you have a great day!

Daniel 😉