Kickstarter hacked, with data stolen for an unknown number of customers

• 15 February 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Hackers breached Kickstarter's defenses and stole the information of an unspecified number of customers, the company disclosed today. The company learned of the breach on Wednesday from law enforcement officials, and quickly resolved the breach, Kickstarter said today. It did not disclose how the breach occurred.

No credit card data was accessed, the popular crowdfunding site said, but hackers did gain access to usernames, email addresses, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and encrypted passwords.  The company recommends that all users create new passwords for their accounts and any other accounts that use the same password.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi Guys,

I recieved an email from kickstart, started that detalis had been stollen..........they didn't specify mine persay but I am really worried about this :(    .....and wanted to  ask you peeps in the know .......realistically how worried should I be and what should I do to lessen an risk.  :$ 

I did have Webroot red flag warning of a treat on Saturday 15th Feb......which it then removed, which was the 1st in months and may well have been coincedental. 

Thank you in advance

allyb   ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Hi @ 
I have copied this from their website so it may put your mind at rest.

On Wednesday night, law enforcement officials contacted Kickstarter and alerted us that hackers had sought and gained unauthorized access to some of our customers' data. Upon learning this, we immediately closed the security breach and began strengthening security measures throughout the Kickstarter system.

No credit card data of any kind was accessed by hackers. There is no evidence of unauthorized activity of any kind on all but two Kickstarter user accounts.

As a precaution, we strongly recommend that you create a new password for your Kickstarter account, and other accounts where you use this password.

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/important-kickstarter-security-notice

There is also a contact address on that page if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.