US tech giants knew of NSA data collection, agency's top lawyer insists

• 19 March 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The senior lawyer for the National Security Agency stated unequivocally on Wednesday that US technology companies were fully aware of the surveillance agency’s widespread collection of data, contradicting month of angry denials from the firms.
Rajesh De, the NSA general counsel, said all communications content and associated metadata harvested by the NSA under a 2008 surveillance law occurred with the knowledge of the companies – both for the internet collection program known as Prism and for the so-called “upstream” collection of communications moving across the internet.
 US tech giants knew of NSA data collection, agency's top lawyer insists | World news | theguardian.com

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Wow, shots fired across the bow!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
Wow, shots fired across the bow!
Yeah, as someone here said (if I can find it), you couldn't have made all this up....but maybe George Orwell did, at that time.

All in all, Data 'Control', manipulation etc.  would appear to be the New World Power.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I wonder what the tech companies are going to say in return.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I wonder what the tech companies are going to say in return.
What they always say - false claim.
Userlevel 7
I dont see what the issue here is? If the tech giants released any information it would be a breech of national security and/or treason which can lead to very long jail times.