Solved

Noy impressed .... uninsatlled!

• 8 November 2012
  • 3 replies

My wifes brand new laptop (Toshiba Satellite/4 gig ram/dual i3 processor) came with McAfee on a 30 day trial. This was uninstalled using the McAfee removal tool. 

When I had bought a new desktop from Ebuyer a few months ago they.gifted me a copy of Webroot Security Everywhere Essentials 2012 which was still cellowrapped and unused so I thought that this was the ideal opportunity to try it out.

Installation was easy and without a hitch and all seemed to be well untill I tried to reboot.

Windows started to load followed by a black screen with cursor for between 30 secs and 1 minute.
The Welcome screen eventually appeard and again hung for 30 secs to 1min.
This was followed by a black screen,again,for 30 secs to 1min.
At last the desktop wallpaper appeared but with no taskbar icons.
I was about to reach for my Acronis rescue disk when the taskbar icons slowly started to load.

I rebooted three times with the same result every time .... total time to get everything apparently loaded was at least 5 minutes. Prior to installing Webroot the machine was booting fully in under 90 secs.

Needless to say,once everything was finally up and running,I took the opportunity to uninstall Webroot,hugekly frustrated and annoyed at the at what had been a timewasting exercise,and needless to say the boot time returned to its prevous norm as soon as Webroot was rmoved.

An Avast/Comodo combination is now fully installed,as it is on the other four computers in the house,and running perfectly.

Any comments before i consign Webroot to the trash can?

icon

Best answer by poussinboots 8 November 2012, 20:24

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Sorry for this negative experience poussinboots.

It sounds like there may have been leftover, headless drivers from the uninstall of McAfee that were causing a negative interaction with SecureAnywhere. It is hard to say without logs but we would love to get you up and running on SecureAnywhere if you choose to give us another try and if you experience problems with your Avast/Comodo combination.

We provide 100% free support, so feel free to Open a Support Ticket if you want the best and most efficient protection. 😃
Many thanks for the reply MikeR

As the Mcafee came preinstalled on the laptop I have no way of reinstalling  inorder to attempt another uninstall using something other than the Mcafee Removal Tool although,if pushed,I could use an Acronis disk image to get it all back to square one ... but lose a lot more in the process.... so not over keen to go down that road.

Many years of tinkering have left me with an inherent dislike of anything McAfee,and after running the removal tool I did a registry search for anything which appeared to be left over and removed that as well. May not have had any effect on the "headless drivers" to which you refer though!

If I had actually paid for my Webroot I would certainly be following this up but as things stand,and all systems are working OK, I am going to leave well alone.

thanks again
poussinboots.

Userlevel 7
I completely understand and the disk image restore is a tedious task that I would not want to pursue. Please let me know if you run into problems in the future and I will be able to personally assist you and check for remnants of other AVs and "headless drivers".

I wish you the best of luck and Send me a Private Message if you ever need anything, including a free trial.