Solved

Zip files

• 21 May 2012
  • 3 replies

Question why is it that your mobile antivirus does not scan inside zip files like most other mobile antivirus?
icon

Best answer by YegorP 21 May 2012, 19:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hey dalykurn,

The important point to understand here is that an Android device won't be affected by anything harmful inside of a zip file until it is unzipped. With that in mind, the Webroot app (for the sake of preserving battery life) doesn't bother scanning inside of the zip. However, if you were to unzip a file with a threat in it, our app would instantly catch it!

Hope that clears things up a bit. Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you!
Sure hope it does catch it when it is unzipped.
Userlevel 7
Hey dalykurn,

Basically, it comes down to the fact that anytime a file is written to the storage media, it is scanned with the complete capabilities of a normal scan. When you unzip a zip file, it's contents are written to the storage media and the unzipped file is scanned at that point with the aforementioned "complete capabilities".

That being said, you always have to be cautious because when you unzip something in a recovery mode, it can't be scanned by anything at all. Keep in mind, though, that his only applies of you have a rooted device and are installing a new ROM.

However, if you have no idea what I'm talking about in the second part and/or have not intentionally rooted your mobile device, just ignore it as we don't support rooted devices anyway.

Hope that helps! 😃 Let me know if you have any other questions!