Solved

New Technical Support account

• 3 July 2012
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +23
After submitting a ticket last night, I was given a link to download wsalogs, which I ran. After uploading the necessary files, it opened a Technical Support website (as it informed me it would) but it seems to have created a new account for me. I've also received an email with logon information, with a different password from what I normally use.

So, do I now use this new password going forward, or is this a one-off for the wsalogs ticket?
icon

Best answer by Kit 3 July 2012, 22:44

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hey Seeker,

Good question! That password is just for the support system and can be used in the future if you need to update a support ticket! After you type in your email address, it'll ask for a password and that is one that was sent in the email along with the link back to the ticket. That being said, if you delete the email or lose the password, all you have to do is "forgotten your password" and new one will be emailed to you!
Userlevel 7
To add some extra information, this effect would be caused if the email address entered into the wsalogs utility differs from the one in your support account (different email, typo, etc).  When wsalogs ends, it takes you to the support page and auto-enters the email you put in at the start.

If it is not a different email address, we'll want to look into it, as it's not expected behavior.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
@ wrote:
If it is not a different email address, we'll want to look into it, as it's not expected behavior.

It's definitely not a different email address. When I submitted the ticket, confirming that I'd uploaded the logs, I noticed that all my old tickets weren't there, making me think it had indeed created a new account. I just logged in using my "old" password and as I suspected, my message informing support of the upload is not there.

One thing I did notice was the different URL that opened when wsalogs finished. It was 'webrootcloudav' whereas it's normally 'webrootanywhere' when opened from WSA's 'Submit a File' feature.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I've posted a screenshot here. The window on the left is me signed into my regular account, the one on the right is me signed into the account created today by wsalogs. As you can see, the email addresses are the same, yet the account on the right only contains one ticket, i.e. the one I sent confirming my upload.
Userlevel 7
Great information!  The URL discrepancy will definitely help with it.  Especially since Submit a File to get to a ticket is slightly newer than the WSALogs utility, which uses the web site route. 

The good news is that it's showing up everything under one thread on our side and we definitely have the log file. 

We'll look into the oddities between the different access methods.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
Cool, thanks Kit.

I have received a response to my log so that confirms what you say about everything showing up under one thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
When I send a wsalogs.exe I uncheck that box because it opens IE9 and I use mostly Firefox but I have not set Firefox as my default Browser so I open my support link and it remembers my email address and password in FF!

HTH,

TH