Solved

Outlook 2010 external links will not open with Identity Shield on

Hello All,

Recently, within the last few weeks I noticed that Outlook 2010 will no longer open external links.  An example would be a link from a contact to Yahoo News or Youtube.  Clicking the link will open my default browser and will try to load the page, but the page remains blank and will not load the content.  I'm assuming that either an MS Office update or an update from Webroot caused the change because I have not installed or made any configuration changes since the issue arose.

After troubleshooting this myself I determined that the issue is specifically with the Identity Shield within SecureAnywhere Complete.  If I disable it, the links work fine and with it enabled they will not load.  I tried to narrow it down further by disabling some of the Identity Shield specific settings to no avail.  I can have all of the settings unchecked and they still will not load.  I also tried adding Outlook to Protected Applications and set the EXE's to "Allow" to no avail.  The only reason I can see that step as not working is because I am using the "Click 2 Run" version of Office 2010 and the EXE's are not the typcial outlook.exe files.  I also read that Chrome can cause some issues similar to this so I removed it along with it's leftover registry changes and reset my default browser to IE 9 with no change.

In any case, all of the other features of SA Complete don't seem to affect the issue.  Only the Identity Shield does.  

I am running:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
WebRoot SecureAnywhere Complete Vs. 8.0.1.203
Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 (Vs 14.0.6112.5000 (32bit)

Thank you for the help !
Todd

icon

Best answer by MikeR 9 August 2012, 20:16

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Welcome https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/3176 and thanks for the very detailed post.

Great job narrowing down the issue. At this point I would like you to Open a Support Ticket and https:///t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/1016 with the email you use. This way we can collect logs and I can investigate details on the "Click to Run" version of Outlook as well as possible reasons why the Identity Shield would be blocking links within it.
Done !

Thank you,
Todd
Userlevel 7
Hey foxfox7,

I see that an Escalation Engineer is helping you with this issue. Please let us know what the results were once it is resolved! 😃
Hi there... Was there ever a solution to this? My in laws are experiencing the same problem with Outlook 2010 and external links. I'd love to know what the solution is (other that turning off Identity protection, which is what I've had to do for them for the time being) 😉
Userlevel 2
I am curious if this was ever resolved as well as its happened to me quite often where I work.  Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Our engineers tried to setup times to remotely connect with foxfox and they did not receive a response. Can you please check the Identity Shield to see if anything is being Blocked or Monitored?

Open WSA>click Identity & Privacy>click View/Edit Protected Applications
Userlevel 2
Hi Mike,

I am having this with the Business edition here at my job.  No one has complained about it, but it does happen.  Next time it happens I will see what I can do to troubleshoot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have no problems with Outlook 2010 64bit version since using WSA over 2 years but there are some complaining on the Microsoft Community but I would be very hesitant in suggesting to make changes to the Registry if you don't know how to!!

TH
The only application that shows up as being 'protected' is Firefox. Outlook isn't listed at all... Unless there's an issue because Firefox is the default browser?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
The only application that shows up as being 'protected' is Firefox. Outlook isn't listed at all... Unless there's an issue because Firefox is the default browser?

The browser being listed as 'Protected' is fine and intended. Is OUTLOOK.EXE listed under your Active Processes and is it being Allowed, Monitored, or Blocked?

Open WSA>click System Tools>click System Control>click Start under Control Active Processes>If it is set to Monitor or Block, set the OUTLOOK.EXE to Allow

If it is set to Allow, proceed with the instructions below:
If it is set to Allow, then we may need to try some of the other suggestions such as TH's. It could be caused by Windows dll files being unregistered or a slim chance of broken file associations. To start, I would try resetting your default browser and checking if the issue persists. If this does not resolve the issue, I can private message you the instructions to reregister the Windows dll files as a next step (note that this is done at your own risk).

Edit: TripleHelix links to a good automatic fix as well, I just want to let you know this is also done at your own risk and I recommend creating a restore point beforehand just to be safe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I agree with Mike and here is a picture of what he wants you to look for when Outlook is running.

HTH,

TH
Both OSPPSVC and OUTLOOK are in that list and marked as 'Allow'. What next?
Userlevel 7
I am testing this on my PC here. I am having replicating the issue on two of my PC`s. Can I ask do you have any of the other MS office programs installed? Can you open a link say in Excel or Powerpoint or is it the same?
Opening a link in an Excel sheet worked. PowerPoint isn't on this machine.
Userlevel 2
My issue was with links to urls both inside and outside of my domain.  Has not happened recently though.