Microsoft confirms it's dropping Windows 8.1 support

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
A Microsoft TechNet blog makes clear that Windows 8.1 will not be patched; users must get Windows 8.1 Update if they want security patches

In what is surely the most customer-antagonistic move of the new Windows regime, Steve Thomas at Microsoft posted a TechNet article on Saturday stating categorically that Microsoft will no longer issue security patches for Windows 8.1, starting in May. Call this the "let them eat cake" approach to support for Microsoft's flagship operating system.

Full Article

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That doesn't seem very consumer friendly.
Userlevel 7
Nic. really...I am surprised by your comment...since when has MS been "very consumer friendly"...;)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Nic. really...I am surprised by your comment...since when has MS been "very consumer friendly"...;)
Certainly not when they dreamed up Windows ME

ROFL  :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hey it took me a year to get Windows me running perfectly....good ol days...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This is funny as some users haven't even upgraded to Win 8.1 from Win 8 and Microsoft said it will be a 2 year support for Win 8 now this for Win 8.1 very strange IMHO.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Well said Baldrick!  A big Kudo from me!! :D

I wonder maybe this way MS wants to fight with the piracy ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I know it's a little off topic but I even asked my contacts at Microsoft and what I get from it there will be no other Service Packs for Windows 7 and as you know there are many.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The mere mention of ME still makes me shudder 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
The mere mention of ME still makes me shudder :)
Yuck! 14 years ago! LOL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_ME and launched on September 14, 2000

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Come on now..i learned alot during those days of crashing my OS all the time...
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I find these frequent new operating systems from MS a bit off putting because they are happening too often. People quite often get a new OS when they purchase a new computer but the way it is going is that the OS is redundant before they replace the computer as is the case with W7 apparently. The consumer surely wants an OS with a life span of something like XP, MS then gets a name for itself because of their reliability and not what is happening now.

But only 14 years since ME!!!!! WOW, I wonder what we will have in another 14 years.
Userlevel 6
I vaguely remember "Windows Me"....I certainly remember 98, 95, and 3.1....then there is a gap until my Comodore 64 days. Sorry...off topic!:(
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
To be fair to Microsoft, Windows 8.1.1 is a complete, free and fully compatible replacement on all Windows 8.1 devices. It should be automatically downloaded and installed, like any update.

Microsoft can't be expected to support a computer if you're not installing patches.
Userlevel 7
I strongly disagree.  Microsoft has a pretty decent track record of flubbed uodates and releases.  Things break pure and simple.

In the corporate world, companies like the one i work for with literally 10's of thousands of workstations quite simply cannot afford a bad update or patch.  Everything has to go through a huge amount of testing for the company's own systems, as well as the systems of the clients.

The switch from Windows XP to Windows 7 was literally a many many month long process in testing before deployment could be done.

Microsoft is gauranteeing that they will not be getting 8.1 or 8.1.1 accepted as a solution for many enterprise customers.
Userlevel 2
Hello everyone

it's me little voice, hope everyone is well. I am mad as can be about this software issue, bad enough I had to go by deducting one item at a time to fix an issue I was having. It turned up being my router, no wonder if that is why I had hacker.

I'm disappointed I just bought my 8.1 Windows if this is the case they should give refunds for ones less than 2 mo. old to a year old.. Do you all agree or disagree? Now I need to purchase an MS updater is this correct? I'm really too tired to read anymore, sorry.

Thank you for your time have a great night, and what ever you do don't let the bed bugs bite. Just a little sick humor ha ha

little voice
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello littlevoice, You purchased W 8.1 right? It seems to me that all you need to do is update MS which is free. Am I missing something here?
Sorry about your router...
Get some sleep and tomorrow is another day and we will get things working for you Right?
Userlevel 7
Honestly, I still don't see what all the fuss is about.  I'll admit that M$'s approach to this whole thing was less than tactful and an example of poor customer service; however, the new PC I purchased in February actually had Windows 8.  During the set-up process, it upgraded to 8.1 and using auto-updates, I still have a perfectly functioning machine (complete with a rather full list of KB updates :p and still counting!).

Or maybe it's because I have WSA Internet Security installed. 😃
Userlevel 7
The fuss is about thr fact that Win8.1 is effectively just out and largely seen by many as what should have been the initial release of the new operating system...rather than Win8.  And to effectively 'drop it' so quickly thereafter by saying no patches or upgrades unless one is on U1 really GRATES.  That is the issue.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Baldrick: My apologies. I actually agree with you. I was in a weird mood that night. - Jeff