Is TouchID Hackable?

• 19 September 2013
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Apple's new iPhone 5S, which is a day away from being released, has been headlining numerous tech stories since it's announcement just over a week ago. However, unlike previous iPhone 'S' releases, this time around, much of the talk is about one particular new feature (rather than a debate over whether Apple has lost its ability to innovate...although there are plenty of stories about that, too). That feature is the TouchID fingerprint scanner, which has transformed the trademark iPhone home button into a security measure.

Undoubtedly, many stories will be written about the efficacy of TouchID once people actually get their hands on Apple's new device, but a couple of researchers (Nick Depetrillo and Robert Graham) are already fairly confident that the new feature is pretty secure. So confident, in fact, that they've launced a site called ISTouchIDHackedYet.com, with a crowdfunded reward up for grabs for anyone who can demonstrate, via video, a successful unlock using the user's fingerprint. To do so, they must be able to lift the fingerprint from any surface, reproduce it, and unlock the user's iPhone. As of last night, the bounty has risen to about $2500.

"Given what Depetrillo describes as Apple's thoughtful implementation of its fingerprint reader, he says he's not sure whether IsTouchIDHackedYet.com's bounty will ever grow large enough to incentivize a hacker to find and reveal a successful attack against it...'Nothin is hack proof,' admits Depetrillo. 'I honestly don't know if someone will claim it...If they do, I'll be pleasantly surpised.'

Forbes has the full report. What do you think?

(Source: Forbes)

10 replies

Userlevel 7
I think it is just a matter of time, and not so very much of it, before there is a hack.  I hope I am wrong, but I will not be surprised to see an enterprising teenager hack his/her parents device.
Userlevel 5
If not there is always the other type of "hack"-able option (the hands-off or fingers-off one 🙂 ) to use as someone indicated in another thread. If this becomes more common I will not be surprised to see it in the papers some day.

There have also been concerns about the crystal used in the fingerprint reader and what will happen when it stops working.
Such a pity these hackers don't put their skills to positive use.
Tsk tsk tsk.
Userlevel 7
Answer to the @ question is ... YES!

The biometrics hacking team of the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) has successfully bypassed the biometric security of Apple's TouchID using easy everyday means. A fingerprint of the phone user, photographed from a glass surface, was enough to create a fake finger that could unlock an iPhone 5s secured with TouchID. This demonstrates – again – that fingerprint biometrics is unsuitable as access control method and should be avoided.

Read full article including the video proof.

Curious what Apple is going to do with this ...
Userlevel 7
Well that flys in the face of what the Apple engineers were saying, they said that process wouldnt work. 
Userlevel 5
That coming from the same people that believe that there wasn't a problem with the antenna during Antenna-Gate, but that people were just holding their phone incorrectly?
Userlevel 7
Thanks for chiming in on this topic, everyone. And thanks Pegas for keeping an eye out for news of the first successful 'hack' of TouchID. 'PCWorld also posted about the it earlier today. You can read the article here. Here's the video demonstration of the security bypass from the PC World story (just in case people don't want to click into either of the articles):

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
That coming from the same people that believe that there wasn't a problem with the antenna during Antenna-Gate, but that people were just holding their phone incorrectly?
It also comes from the same people that believe there is no need for AV/Malware protection on Apple devices 🙂
Userlevel 7
I stumbled upon below video. The new TouchID is truly innovative ... you can use almost any part of your body :D:D

Imagine situation ... you come in a shop and want to make a call ... take off jacket, pull the shirt up and attach the phone on the nipple ... or take off a shoe and sock and attach the phone on the big toe ... I can imagine the surprised faces of people ... :D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

Imagine situation ... you come in a shop and want to make a call ... take off jacket, pull the shirt up and attach the phone on the nipple ... or take off a shoe and sock and attach the phone on the big toe ... I can imagine the surprised faces of people ... :D
OMG. If that's the case imagine you go to a shop and want to make a call............take off you jeans.....boxers......and attach the phone to the 😳.......can't imagine the disgusted faces of people and some faces of enthusiasm.....:D