Evolving IT security: Digital Risk Officers to emerge by 2017

• 15 July 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
MIKE WHEATLEY  JULY 15TH

The rapid pace of technological evolution represents a massive challenge for companies whose operations are based on a digital business model. In order to manage risk and shore up security, we’re going to see a new trend of CEOs introducing Digital Risk Officers (DROs) to take on such challenges.

Gartner highlights this trend in its latest CEO and Senior Executive Survey. Its finding reveal that more than 50 percent of CEOs plan to have a DRO on their company’s books by the end of 2015. By 2017, more than a third of large enterprises will count a DRO among their ranks.

But what exactly is a DRO and what will he do? According to Gartner, they’ll be reporting to a senior executive outside of IT, such as the chief operating officer or chief risk officer. He or she will be charged with managing risk at an executive level across all digital business units, working with peers in areas such as compliance, digital marketing, digital sales, legal and privacy.

Full article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Interesting, Beth...but I am afraid that I am the cynic here.

Why do they fall for it every time...just another high level job to consume valuable funds that could be better used elsewhere.  The answer always seem to be...set up another top level position...to do what.

Oh, well here to all those budding SROs, DROs, NDROs, etc., all reporting into the CRO...LOL.
Userlevel 6
LOL!

In an attempt to create new jobs so they can raise consumer prices?

Maybe to make it appear they care and are working hard to focus on IT Security?

I do not know Solly, wish I did, I just read about it myself earlier.

Will be VERY intersting to see who is placed in these new positions!