PayPal Users Targeted in Sophisticated Phishing Attack

• 1 February 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Ionut Arghire on January 31, 2017 A recently observed phishing campaign is targeting PayPal users with fake pages that are well designed and difficult to distinguish from the real ones, ESET researchers warn.

The attack was observed only a couple of weeks after Gmail users were targeted in a phishing campaign that used legitimate-looking URLs capable of tricking even tech-savvy people. The attackers were even able to bypass two-factor authentication protection by accessing the compromised email accounts immediately.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
And the beat goes on...................now we have to up the game to protect the users against these sophisticated phishing attacks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you Jasper for this update! As I use PayPal and I don't think I'd fall victim to this but there are plenty who might. 😞
Userlevel 7
I had a PayPal account about 3 or 4 years ago that money was withdrawn out of my American Express (Costco) card that is closed now. Costco switched to Citi last year so PayPal if hacked doesn't get nothing from me. I was tired of PayPal bugging me for my Navy Federal account number so PayPal can directly withdraw from there. One thing that I learned from the Credit Union: Never give out your main Financial Account number to anyone. If you have no choice to give out that Account Numer make sure you trust who your giving it to. Once they get that number a thief could have a field day with your account and it would disrupt everything on that account. As for using a Credit Card for PayPal, all you have to do is cancel the Credit Card. 😉
Badge +2
I've used OayPal for years, never had a problem. Strong password for one thing. I have my credit card accounts set to message me whenever there is a charge regardless of the size. I can flag a bogus charge and have the card shut down in a heartbeat.