Webroot Community Weekly Highlights: 9/8/17

• 8 September 2017
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1376 replies
Welcome to the Community Weekly Highlights!

This is a weekly series to highlight the best articles and stories happening all around the web. 
What was your favorite story? What topics would you like to see? Sound off in the comments!

New Leadership at Webroot
It's a bittersweet goodbye as our beloved CEO Dick Williams has decided to retire after 8 years at Webroot, and more than five decades in the business world. Webroot has named a new CEO, Mike Potts, who will start September 25. Dick will remain on Webroot’s Board of Directors.

The whole Webroot Team wishes Dick the best in his future endeavors is jazzed up for Mike's arrival!

Check out Dick's heartfelt blog post and our press release for the whole story.

How blockchain technology can transform the security industry
Implemented correctly, the blockchain may provide the enterprise with more trust in their security systems.

The blockchain itself provides little in terms of threat detection or defense in the manner of traditional cybersecurity solutions, but it does offer an infrastructure of transparency, event tracking, cryptography and the chance to improve security sensor and data sharing -- which some security solutions and implementations on enterprise networks lack.

Learn more about this emerging security technology.

US Government Site Was Hosting Ransomware
We wish we could categorize this one under "Fake News".

As recently as Wednesday afternoon, a U.S. government website was hosting a malicious JavaScript downloader that led victims to installations of Cerber ransomware.

Mariano Palomo Villafranca, a malware analyst with Spanish telco Telefonica, today published an analysis of the attack. He pointed out that most U.S. .gov sites are whitelisted by reputation services, making them ideal malware hosts for attackers wishing to elude detection.

Read the analysis of the attack for yourself.

What story from the last week the most important for you? We welcome your feedback!

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
"most U.S. .gov sites are whitelisted by reputation services, making them ideal malware hosts for attackers wishing to elude detection" 

The fact that this is a thing is aweful. 
Userlevel 2
Talking with my clients in the Finance sector, blockchain is the "next big thing" for them.  Banking system developers are apparently looking at this technology from many different angles for integration.
Userlevel 3
i think block chain is getting thrown around so much these days it's he next big fad. Maybe not so much the case in finance.
Userlevel 3
The article on US Govt websites been whitelisted. I think articles on protection in regards to compliance and security.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Interested to know Webroot's view on 'most U.S. .gov sites are whitelisted by reputation services', is there a policy for this?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Why whitelist most government sites? They are the most corrupt anyway. 

Also - Nothing about the Equifax hack?
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
Surely it's one strike and you're out for whitelisted sites?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Blockchain maybe the next thing, I just don’t thing it will be in this iteration of what it is.  I think the development of the protocol will help build something big in banking security.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
The house and senate are very careful about what domains they allow to email into their systems - I feel we should return the favor and not automatically whitelist .gov sites, but only as needed or requested.
Having observed the development process etc for a few of these I do not believe they are intrinsically safe. Their only saving grace is that they do not push third party adverts and banners - the most common source for drive by virus loads. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
New leadership sound like they have a lot of experiance. Will be an interesting journey.
Userlevel 4
Now the government is handing out computer viruses? At least it is not communicable disease with every welfare check.
Userlevel 3
Looking forward to hearing from the new leadership, exciting times ahead