Solved

Webroot and multi-threading

• 10 March 2018
  • 4 replies

My PC has a 8-core (16-thread) CPU.
When I run the Webroot scan, I realize that only 1 of 16 logical processors is being used for scanning. I am really disappointed by that.

Why is Webroot not able to use multiple cores? It would definitely decrease the time spent on scanning operations.
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 11 March 2018, 02:51

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
An interesting point of view. How long does it take to scan your system? I have a 4 Core with (8) Hyperthreading and mine scans anywhere from 30 to 40 seconds. One thing I know WSA is the lightest AV out there and uses the least resources so maybe there isn't a need to use more resources then it already uses.

There's only 2 processes and it uses only a very small amount of Ram.

Yes, it may take not more than 1 minute for "Scan My Computer".
But why doesn't Webroot use more available resources to make it even faster?

I have a lot of CPU power that is standing idle, but Webroot prefers not to use it. That doesn't sound good.
I think, Webroot must analyse system capabilities and consume system resources accordingly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
For the best possible answer would be to Submit a Support Ticket and ask Technical your concerns and please let us know what they have to say on the subject.

Thanks,

Daniel
Here is the Webroot's answer:

As a short answer, SecureAnywhere does not support multiple CPU's as it is not necessary. Our software is very light and designed to take up as few resources as possible. 

We will note that if enough users request this, then it may become more of a priority to add these features, and the community is the perfect place to discuss this idea, but at this time our development team is working on separate projects.