Solved

Webroot Phishing Safety Reminder Steals Fullscreen Window Focus

• 3 July 2018
  • 2 replies

Hello, 

I recently had the rather unpleasant experience of my multiplayer game minimising with the worst possible timing during a crucial moment of the match. Needless to say, it was a bit frustrating. 

Normally I don't experience any problems at all with programs stealing focus from fullscreen apps, but I do remember this happening at least one previous time due to my Webroot (for gamers, no less!) product popping up the message reminding me to stay safe from phishing online, read the safety report etc. 

These messages are rare, so don't normally bother me, but considering they're not at all urgent it seems very silly that they forcefully rip the focus from a fullscreen game. This is especially true in a product targeted towards PC gamers that are much more likely to be in such a situation. (And if they're like me, have gone to great lengths to purge their PCs of the annoyances of over aggressive applications that like to interrupt their game time.)

I assume that this is just an issue that's gone unnoticed because, like I said, the messages don't pop up that often. But given my most recent experience I thought I'd sign up here in an attempt to leave some feedback that might see this problem resolved. Apart from this issue, I've had no other problems with the software and it's been very non-invasive so it would be a shame to feel the need to switch because of one silly pop-up. 

If anyone knows of a way of preventing this behaviour in the meantime I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 3 July 2018, 02:58

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Hello @ and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

That message should have stopped almost two weeks ago please see here and do what @ said to do: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Stop-the-pop-ups/m-p/322950#M21432

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Hello, 

I recently had the rather unpleasant experience of my multiplayer game minimising with the worst possible timing during a crucial moment of the match. Needless to say, it was a bit frustrating. 

Normally I don't experience any problems at all with programs stealing focus from fullscreen apps, but I do remember this happening at least one previous time due to my Webroot (for gamers, no less!) product popping up the message reminding me to stay safe from phishing online, read the safety report etc. 

These messages are rare, so don't normally bother me, but considering they're not at all urgent it seems very silly that they forcefully rip the focus from a fullscreen game. This is especially true in a product targeted towards PC gamers that are much more likely to be in such a situation. (And if they're like me, have gone to great lengths to purge their PCs of the annoyances of over aggressive applications that like to interrupt their game time.)

I assume that this is just an issue that's gone unnoticed because, like I said, the messages don't pop up that often. But given my most recent experience I thought I'd sign up here in an attempt to leave some feedback that might see this problem resolved. Apart from this issue, I've had no other problems with the software and it's been very non-invasive so it would be a shame to feel the need to switch because of one silly pop-up. 

If anyone knows of a way of preventing this behaviour in the meantime I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance.
As TripleHelix pointed out, we had other users reporting this as well (it impacted myself too) and the pop up message for phishing awareness has ended. I highly recommend rebooting your computer and/or running a couple scans to be 100% sure Webroot has checked in. If you are still experiencing this, please let me know so I can present it to the product team.