365 Days Remaining Until XP End Of Support. The Countdown Begins

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Posted on: Apr 08, 2013
Windows Springboard Series Blog

Today marks the start of the 1-year countdown of when we stop supporting Windows XP. Many of you saw the post this morning on the Windows For Your Businessblog. Over the past few months I have gotten a lot of questions on what that means exactly. Here are some answers to help explain what end of support is and what you need to do to move to a modern OS like Windows 7 or Windows 8.
Microsoft will end Extended Support on April 8, 2014. Why?
In 2002, Microsoft introduced its Support Lifecycle policy based on customer feedback to have more transparency and predictability of support for Microsoft products. Per this policy, Microsoft Business and Developer products – including Windows and Office products – receive a minimum of 10 years of support (five years Mainstream Support and five years Extended Support), at the supported service pack level. Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 will go out of support on April 8, 2014. If your organization has not started the migration to a modern desktop, you are late. Based on historical customer deployment data, the average enterprise deployment can take 18 to 32 months from business case through full deployment. To ensure you remain on supported versions of Windows and Office, you should begin your planning and application testing immediately to ensure you deploy before end of support.
What is the difference between extended and mainstream support?
Think of mainstream support as “full”. In other words, mainstream support means Microsoft supports a product with its full offerings including paid incident support, hotfix support, security updates, etc. This support for Windows XP ended in April of 2009.
When a product enters the extended support “phase”, the game changes:
  • Extended support is only available for commercial customers
  • We still provide security updates at no charge to all customers
On April 8, 2014, we will end the extended support for our commercial customers and we will no longer provide security updates for commercial or consumer customers.
What does End of Support mean to customers?
Simply, it means you should take action to move off of Windows XP. After April 8, 2014, there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates. Running Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 in your environment after their end of support date may expose your company to potential risks, such as:
  • Security & Compliance Risks: Unsupported and unpatched environments are vulnerable to security risks. This may result in an officially recognized control failure by an internal or external audit body, leading to suspension of certifications, and/or public notification of the organization’s inability to maintain its systems and customer information.
  • Lack of Independent Software Vendor (ISV) & Hardware Manufacturers support: Back in 2011, many independent software vendors (ISVs) were already unlikely to support new versions of applications on Windows XP.
So no new patches after April 8th, 2014?
Microsoft will keep hosting all patches and service packs released through April of 2014, but no new updates will be released after this date.
I heard that my anti-virus software company will continue to support Windows XP after April 8, 2014. Does that mean I am protected?
No. Securing an operating system requires a multiple layers of defense and an anti-malware is just one part of the end-to-end security stack. When EOS for Windows XP occurs on April 8, 2014 and Windows is no longer being serviced, the system and any anti-malware solutions deployed to it will no longer be able to protect the device, user and data against new and emerging threats. Vulnerabilities that are discovered in Windows XP or possibly even applications running on it will remain unpatched and many types of malware will be able to take permanent residence within devices. This can occur even if the device is running an up to date anti-malware solution. Based on this, it’s critical that organizations and consumers migrate to a modern operating system.

Full Article

XP users how do you feel about the end of support in a year and what will you do then?

TH

23 replies

Userlevel 7
I know there are a LOT of business customers that have a huge amount of upgrade time and expense to do over the next year. Windows XP is still one of the most popular platforms in the busniness environment.  It may be a bit old, but to put it plainly, it works, and it is stable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@DavidP wrote:
I know there are a LOT of business customers that have a huge amount of upgrade time and expense to do over the next year. Windows XP is still one of the most popular platforms in the busniness environment.  It may be a bit old, but to put it plainly, it works, and it is stable.
Very true as I see them everywhere! Win 7 is clearly the next best OS and it is very stable right from the beginning IMHO. I'm still not sold on Win 8 even though I have both 32bit & 64bit in VM's. :@

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I can see an easy upgrade for many to Windows 7.  I do use both at work, although the vast majority of terminals are XP.  As for changing the systems there to 8.... no way.  That would not be a good idea at all at this time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Users Still Not Willing to Abandon Windows XP
Microsoft has started the final countdown for Windows XP, its 11-year-old operating system that’s still installed on more than 38 percent of computers worldwide, but only a few users actually agree to dump it.

Full Article

TH
Userlevel 7
I'm going to miss my Windows XP. :(

@ wrote:
Win 7 is clearly the next best OS and it is very stable right from the beginning IMHO. I'm still not sold on Win 8
I'm with you on that one TH. 😉
Userlevel 7
Thanks Daniel for the headline which circulates across the tech news and internet.

I am probably only the one who have had continual issues with XP, after I switched to Vista they all disappeared and I never had any issue since then. Believe or not. However I think that it's also due to VAIO hardware which is, as to my experience, extremely tuned and stable and it surely contributes to the smooth run of my laptop. That's the reason I don't feel a need to upgrade to Win7 or 8, at least for a while.
Userlevel 7
While I was a big fan of Win XP its a bit too creaky and old at this stage. Modern hardware shouldnt be running on Win XP unless you have some reason to (like old software that wont run on 7/8)
Userlevel 7
Well I'm staying on with XP. I already got a pc with Win 7 for my office work. I'm not gonna ditch my good old anytime use XP laptop. WSA got me covered.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks Daniel for the headline which circulates across the tech news and internet.

I am probably only the one who have had continual issues with XP, after I switched to Vista they all disappeared and I never had any issue since then. Believe or not. However I think that it's also due to VAIO hardware which is, as to my experience, extremely tuned and stable and it surely contributes to the smooth run of my laptop. That's the reason I don't feel a need to upgrade to Win7 or 8, at least for a while.
Usually I hear complaints about Vista! I'm glad that it solved your problems though. 😃
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Usually I hear complaints about Vista!
Exactly Mike. That's what I hear too. Many says Vista should never be released as it's unfinished W7 but I am probably an exception. Though I have to underline the importance of VAIO hardware because all complaints I heard were on other laptops (vendors).
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Usually I hear complaints about Vista!
Exactly Mike. That's what I hear too. Many says Vista should never be released as it's unfinished W7 but I am probably an exception. Though I have to underline the importance of VAIO hardware because all complaints I heard were on other laptops (vendors).
Vista in it's orignial release = BAD

VIsta SP1 = Pretty good!
Userlevel 7
Vista SP2 = almost of the same quality of W7, SP2 is the real holder for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I still found Vista heavy on my older laptop that came with XP but when I put Win 7 32bit it was much snappier.

TH
Userlevel 7
Vista SP2 as good as Win 7! You having a laugh 😃
Userlevel 7
Really Roy? My daughter has an Acer laptop with W7 (not any cheap) and as far as performance is concerned there is no advantage over my Vista SP2. Of course that W7 is better in many factors but Vista SP2 serves nicely to my needs and never let me down. That's all what matters me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Vista SP2 as good as Win 7! You having a laugh :D
Vista is as good as Windows ME Roy didn't you know? LOL

Daniel
Userlevel 7
In every PC I have that I have upgraded from Vista -> 7 has run much better. Win 7 also looks after itself much better and doesnt require you to keep an eye on it so much. Win 7 is superior in every way, unless there is some reason why you cant run 7 I dont see the reason to stick with Vista.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I dont see the reason to stick with Vista.
Because I wait for a VAIO with W8 and the 13,3" touchscreen. Should be on market soon.
Userlevel 7
Boy the memories of win ME are coming flooding back. I used to call it Windows BDOD generator, couldnt keep a stable build of it on my PC.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Boy the memories of win ME are coming flooding back. I used to call it Windows BDOD generator, couldnt keep a stable build of it on my PC.
No one could that I know of... that was the very worst version of Windows ever released in my own opinion.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Posted on: Apr 08, 2013 

XP users how do you feel about the end of support in a year and what will you do then?

TH

I have used Windows XP for my desk top from the inception.  I think it's a great program.  I hardly ever had a problem with it and it does everything I require of a software program.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

What will I do?  I'm going to kill myself!  :$  I can't imagine life without Windows XP!  😞
Userlevel 7
@DavidP wrote:

.. that was the very worst version of Windows ever released in my own opinion.
MS Bob  - doesn't count as a version of Windows though I suppose since it was just a shell.  😃
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Windows ME  = Windows Mistake Edition