8.1 tile problem

since i installed 8.1 i can't pin new tiles from the web to my start page.  i've searched the windows site but don't see this problem addressed anywhere.  has anyone here had the same problem?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Howdy bizzibee!  Welcome to the community.

Did you get Windows 8.1 fully installed?  Or did you encounter y problems?  The other question is which version of IE you are using:  Desktop or Metro?

Try following this tutorial Getting to Start and see if it helps.  It should be very simple.

i had many problems after I upgraded to 8.1.   I have desktop.
I can pin apps to start.  I cannot pin any else. I cannot pin a website to my start screen.  The only option that I have is to save to favorites (in the desktop mode). 
Userlevel 7
G'morning bizzibee.

I would suggest that you make sure that Windows 8.1 has been properly installed before doing anything else. 

If someone else installed it for you, give them a call and have them take a look.  If you did the install / upgrade yourself, make sure to "View your update history" and verify that you have the most current updates and that they all show "Successfully installed on: mm/dd/yyyy.  IF you have any that show "Failed to install on" you will have to re-install them.

Once that's been done, it's really quite easy.  When you're on a web page that you want to pin, open up Tools on the menu bar (or just press" Alt + T") and the select "Add site to apps".  From that point, you can pin it wherever you'd like.

Hope this helps!
I tried opening Tools and don't get that option.  All I have to choose from is: Downloads, Add-Ons, Set-Up Sync, Web Developer, Page Info, Options, Add-Block.
Userlevel 7
I hate to say it, but, you'll need to check with Microsoft. Try posting your question here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows and see if anyone is having a similar problem. Good luck!
I was afraid of that.  Thanks for trying.