Solved

about:blank keeps opening pages automatically, hijack?

• 14 June 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge
Every time I try to read my yahoo mail on Chrome browser an https://about:blank new page tab keeps opening and I can barely read anything in my mail box before another one pops up.
icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 15 June 2019, 03:51

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
I doubt this is related to Webroot, but someone around here might have an idea how to fix the issue. I'm going to move this to the Tech Talk section in the meantime though.
Badge
I'm having this same problem too! It started yesterday.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello and welcome to the Webroot Community @dani66 &@baymaxisawesome1

This is what I have found:

If your web browser is constantly being redirected to the “about:blank” page, then it is possible that you have an adware program installed on your computer.

About:blank is a special page within most browsers (Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Firefox or Google Chrome), and it does nothing more than display a blank page. Although most major web browsers feature a default website to which the browser re-directs you at start-up, corrupted profile data can instead cause your Web browser to display a blank page with the subject “about:blank” on the URL bar.
The about:blank page is not malicious. However, occasionally, malware will explicitly mess with your web browser settings and about:blank will be displayed. Browser hijackers will sometimes change the homepage of your browser, and when your antivirus will not correctly clean-up the infection, it might corrupt the settings. In cases like these, the browser will simply displays about:blank page.
When infected with this adware program, other common symptoms include:
  • Advertising banners are injected with the web pages that you are visiting.
  • Random web page text is turned into hyperlinks.
  • Browser popups appear which recommend fake updates or other software.
  • Other unwanted adware programs might get installed without the user’s knowledge.
Uninstall these apps below if you see them in your Add/Remove/Programs. If you cannot remove them then use Revo Uninstaller Free to completely remove an unwanted program from your PC.

The “App and Features” screen will be displayed with a list of all the programs installed on your PC. Scroll through the list until you find the malicious program, click it, and then click “Uninstall”.
Known malicious programs: Startface, OtherSearches, YeaDesktop, Wajam, 1.0.0.1, DNS Unlocker, Cinema Plus, Price Minus, SalesPlus, New Player, MediaVideosPlayers, Browsers_Apps_Pro, PriceLEess, Pic Enhance, Sm23mS, Salus, Network System Driver, SS8, Save Daily Deals, Word Proser, Desktop Temperature Monitor, CloudScout Parental Control, Savefier, Savepass, HostSecurePlugin, CheckMeUp or HD-V2.2.

Google Chrome has an option that will reset itself to its default settings. Resetting your browser settings will reset the unwanted changes caused by installing other programs. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be cleared or changed.

If you have Webroot installed then I would advise you to Submit a Support ticket which is free of charge with an active subscription.

Hope this helps? Goodluck!
Badge
Thanks for trying to help! I don't have these other symptoms and I don't have any of those programs installed in my list. So unfortunately, it didn't work.

Basically, I open my email home page at att.net. Everything is normal. I open my yahoo mail, and every 5-10 seconds a new blank tab opens and disrupts my browsing! I close it and another pops open. I try to read my email, and another pops up. I exit and try again, but it keeps happening. I restarted my computer, deleted cookies, scanned for viruses in Chrome and on my PC with Norton Virus Protection, and tried looking for those "malware programs" but can't seem to find anything to fix this!

I don't know what to do! It's very frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @baymaxisawesome1

I sent you a Private Message.

Did you reset your Chrome Browser? You can also uninstall/reinstall Chrome to see if that helps. Are you able to uninstall/reinstall Yahoo mail?