Ad guy says the tracking cookie will be dead in five years

• 29 April 2013
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
April 27, 2013 7:42 AM

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/do-not-track-me.png?w=558&h=9999&crop=0     
If you are one of the many people horrified about the privacy-invading nature of the tracking cookie, her’s some solace: It may not have long to live.
According to Paul Cimino, vice president at ad marketplace Brilig, the tracking cookie has, at most, five years of life left.
“I think it will take five years to kill it. At that point, it’ll be like birds chirping and flowers blooming because we’ll find some kind of value proposition that allows consumers to trust us and opt into personalization. I term it, tailor don’t target,” Cimino told AdExchanger.
While you may not be quite sure what an ad tracking cookie is, you’ve probably seen its effects anytime you’ve noticed, say, the same jeans advertisement popping up on multiple sites. In that situation an ad network placed a tracking cookie in your web browser, which allowed them figure out which sites you went to and how long you stayed there. Then they served you ads.

Full Article

Very interesting. ;)

TH

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Very interesting article, thanks Daniel for sharing!

My only worry is if they get rid of the tracking cookie, what is next?  I don't think that the ad companies are going to just go away, so they will have to turn to something else to serve up those ads.  Why do I get a feeling we might actually miss the "good ole days of the tracking cookie"?