Adblocker

Can anybody recommend an AdBlocker that webroot will allow to download?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I have found adguard to work superbly along with Webroot.It can be downloaded HERE
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I have found Adguard to be an excellent complement to Webroot.It can be downloaded HERE
Userlevel 7
Hi tarbox7

Which browser are you proposing to use the ad blocking extension with?  Generally, the one that is recommended for IE, FF and/or Chrome is AdBlock Plus or its derivative AdBlock Edge, that is supposed to be lighter (but is not avaialble for Chrome if memory serves).

Having said that I have recently installed under Chrome (on the recommendation of a Community member) uBlock as an even lighter alternative to AdBlock Plus...and so far I am liking what I am seeing...got blocking and much, much lighter.

Anyway, if you can advise as to your browser(s) then perhaps we can be a bit more specific.

@ Roy, any thoughts here...as I know this is one of your areas of expertise/use? ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Ad blockers to do not need to be downloaded. They are browser add ons. If your using Google Chrome visit the Chrome app store and search for Adblock Plus or uBlock. If you are using Firefox then go to the extensions and add on Adblock Plus. If you are using IE then you can download Adblock Plus for IE. IE does not have an app store. Either way none of them interfere with Webroot. 
Thank LabVIEW

Could not remember who had recommended uBlock...;)

Would disagree with you re. FF in that AdBlock Edge is avaialble for that browser and it is IMHO as good as AdBlock Plus but lighter, hence I use the former rather than the latter for that one...until they bring out a version of uBlock for FF...;).

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I'm partial to Adguard here.They have cut the memory consumption significantly in the latest version.It has a great many features,but then again,it's not free.Of the free programs,i would definitely recommend Adblock Plus.Either works great with WSA.
Userlevel 7
Well, perhaps you should try it as it is extremely fast and light now compared to the versions around even 6 months ago. ;)
Userlevel 7
I use the following extensions in Chrome:

Security Plugins:

Adblock
Webroot Filtering
Ghostery
Facebook Disconnect
Privacy Badger
HTTPS Everywhere
DoNotTrackMe

Non Security Related ones:

Firebug (more for investigation so its not generally needed by the average user)
VTchromizer
Hola

Probably some overlaps in the Disconnect/Ghostery plugins but they dont affect the speed of my browser so I dont mind.

If you want to pay for a adblocking program that's cool but I have never seen the need to. Adblock (and Adblock plus) have additional filters and you can create custom adblock lists if you need to. 

Userlevel 7
Some slight overlap but it doesnt bother me, not affect the speed of the browser. I switch between AB and ABP every so often to see whats going on in the newer versions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
LabVIEW707 wrote:
Havent used FF is years. :p Lol
You sound like a Banned Member GTR707 and maybe the same person but under a new username as he was always pushing members away from FF and pushing Chrome. Hmmmm.

TH
Userlevel 7
Very much a matter of opinion.!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Very much a matter of opinion.!
Right take your pick! LOL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

Daniel 😃
Thank you. That seemed to work!