After upgrading to Windows 10 pc keeps awaking from suspension

Userlevel 3
Hello. I waited till now for upgrading to W10 fearing to face the typical malfunctions of an immature product, but it seems that there are still problems, as just at the first day of use I hit one of them!

In fact, after upgrading to 10 my pc keeps awaking from suspension at the tiniest move of any of the mouses (yes I have two mouses, for both hands).
One of the mouses is a Logitech wireless trackball, this device caused this same problem with 8.1 upon installation, but after unchecking the boxes “allow this device to wake up the computer” in all right places I solved the problem.
This same configuration has been correctly inherited by W10, but now the system doesn't work as it should!
Did anyone of you experienced a similar problem, or can help?
This is a quite annoying malfunction for me and I think to rollback to 8.1 (hoping that this works!).

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey there Glauco

I know you stated that you have unchecked all boxes but I like to check as this one is a lengthy process :D

• Going into your control panel
  • Clicking Hardware and Sound 
  • Under "Devices and printers" there will be an option called "Mouse" click it. 
  • Go to the hardware tab 
  • Click on the mouse you wish to disable the wake up feature on and click the properties button
  • Click change settings (This will require Administrator privileges)
  • Another window will open, go to the Power Managemet Tab
  • uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"
hopefully this mouse will no longer wake your computer from sleep. Repeat with other devices you wish to be disabled when your computer is asleep. I know this is a lengthy process, but it worked for me. 

I hope this helped, if not get back to us and we will try something else. 

All the best 

Brad

Userlevel 3
Thanks for replying Brad, however I assure you, I checked and re-checked all devices, the boxes for enabling wake-up are all unchecked, like they were in 8.1.
But you know what? The only device which was enabled to wake-up the pc was the LAN controller. In reality I don't use this feature, so I tried to disable also this and... it worked!
The system stays asleep both in suspension or in hibernation. Good, however it doesn't make sense to me as the mouses are connected via USB, and in fact it was not necessary to uncheck this box in 8.1.
In any case isn't it strange that anybody reported this malfunction? At least I haven't find any specific report on this in the net.

Well, I think I will get along trying to use W10 before desisting, however there are a number of things that I don't like. E.g. even the new start menu is not usable like it was in previous systems, thus I am thinking of re-installing ClassicShell (which I had in 8.1 and that has been disabled by W10), plus there is this WinAeroTwicker thing that let's you do a lot of interesting customization... I will see.
Are you happy with standard W10 or do you also made customizations?
--- Glauco
Userlevel 7
Hi Glauco

I actually find the Win 10 Start Menu superior to previous versions (I have customised it to include all the programs that I used to have under the Win 7 Start Menu) and withthe upcoming changes (currently part of the latest Insider Preview Build) I think that it will be even better.

I suspect that as and when you use it you will get used to it and come to appreciate its finer points...;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey there Galauco

Glad you found the solution :)

In regards to windows 10 I haven't really made many changes, I tend to only use my windows rig for gaming more than anything else and it does that well. My only major hate is that I cannot totally disable the windows updater from downloading updates when I am playing games as it does reduce online performance.

Besides that I quite like it, not a fan of the new control panel being more designed for a tablet rather than a PC but I suppose Microsoft have to make some compromises when they tried for the single driver across all hardware types.  hey, I am sure we will all get there eventually. 

All the best

Brad
Userlevel 3
Good for you guys. I must say instead that my enthusiasm for W10 has weakened further in discovering other malfunctions.
In fact yesterday, after terminating work with some removable disks I wanted to unmount them, but the system refused to do that, saying the units were in use, while no program was still active on the units and all files had been closed.
This didn't happen with 8.1, so I am seriously thinking of restoring 8.1.
Regards,
--- Glauco
Userlevel 7
Hi Glauco

Sorry to hear that and that you have "...other malfunctions". I have to say that I use external and removable drives and have never come across the issue that you are reporting, so I am wondering if it may be something specific to your system or your systems configuration?

As for "...other malfunctions"...it would be interesting to hear what your are experiencing as I have had no noticable issues with WIndows 10; in fact it runs so, so much better than Windows 8.1 that I personally would never go back.

Let's know what ails your Windows 10 setup and perhaps we can assist/advise accordingly. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Hi Baldrick.
My experience is what I already reported here.
It looks to me that discovering in a few hours the anomaly in suspension/hibernation and the malfunction in unmounting external drives it's not so reassuring on the reliability of  W10, isn't it?
Moreover the issue of difficulties in removing hw is known, since it's reported here and there, and also a friend of mine has experienced this a number of times.
I had none of this problems with 8.1, the configuration of 10 is simply what the update process has inherited from 8.1.
Moreover I cannot imagine why you find 10 “so much better” than 8.1.
I am quite happy with 8.1, which I am still running in my other 2 pc's, particularly after I customized it with ClassicShell.
My use of the machines is perhaps traditional: software development, writing, browsing, trading, so perhaps I don't need and don't appreciate new features, particularly intended for tablets, social media and a broader public...
Userlevel 7
Hi Glauco

I do understand you point of view and would say that if I was seeing what you appear to be then I would most probably have doubts but I have not seen anything related to the (i) the anomaly in suspension/hibernation or (ii) the malfunction in unmounting external drives...so I do not doubt the reliability of  Windows 10.

It is interesting that I had many more issues with WIndows 8, and whilst some where fixed with the move to WIndows 8.1 there were still some issue which never really wet away which is why I was so relieved to move to Windows 10...as all issue have, for me at least, disappeared...that is why I say that Windows 10 is “so much better” than Windows 8.1...because for me, it is!

I think that if you are happier with Windows 8.1 then you should stay with it...I presume that MS will continue supporting Windows 8.1 for a goodly while and as long as that is the case then there will be no pressing case for upgrading/moving up.

I suspect that when compared to many users here your use of your machine is not that "traditional" given that you do software development, which I am fairly certain not many here are involved in. But having said that Windows 10 should still work for you but if it does not then I think that you are wise to stick with what does. ;)

We will just have to agree to differ in terms of our views on Windows 8.1/10 and their relative merits, etc. :D

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
I agree with you Baldrick. Our experience is different and so is our judgement of the two OS. Maybe that hw and drivers play an important role in this, in my case perhaps I have o better match among the various hw and sw components with 8.1 than with 10, in your case it's viceversa.
I will decide in a few days what to do. My data are all mirrored in two machines and at worst I have a disk image of 8.1 before the upgrade.
Eventually all issues with 10 will be solved, but for some time there may be problems.
If I decide to stick to 8.1 I should have the advantage of a more stable system, but the price to pay is nearly 3 years of support, in fact the end of extended support is scheduled at Jan 2023 for 8.1 and Oct 2025 for 10. But in any case we have a lot of time to go.

Regards,
--- Glauco