Amaya

• 18 September 2013
  • 6 replies

neither Webroot nor Malwarebytes detected malicious code  and so I am repeatedly told that the problem is with a bug in Amaya since that is where the malicious code is activated at this time,I have been using Amaya for several years without any problems.

With all due respect I have been experiencing this attack and I see the way it has been developing. For an general and arbitray bug in Amaya its amazing how it is devising ways to target my SEO. Why it couldn't be better if it were planned that way.

The first arbitray bug causes images to load into my general directory on my hard drive while deleting the image directories from the html code, making it appear locally that all is well and fine, while online the images don't display because on line they are being stored in the image directories, for which the names also happen to be part of my seo.

That goes on for a while and then arbitrarily and by pure chance a new bug occurs in Amaya that causes "./" to be inserted into the address of my CSS files so that my style sheets don't work and my web pages display in an uninteresting way.

Obviously this is a bug in Amaya and not mallicious code targeting my web site which happens to have maintained a number one spot on Google for several years now . That woudl be silly to think that such a targeted effect could be caused by anything other than pure chance.

*topic title edited and post moved to Techie* - admin

6 replies

Userlevel 7
This post was made on an unrelated subject, so it's been split off into it's own topic. Lamb, I'm not really sure what you're referring to. It sounds like you're having an issue of some sort with a web authoring tool? If you'd like to expand a bit, someone may possibly be able to point you in the right direction.
Userlevel 7
To be honest this doesnt sound Malicious at all. If you are having this much issue with Amaya why not swtich to another program there a number of other free types of HTLM editors. I personally write HTML in a decent edition like Notepad++ thus avoiding the issue altogether.
Userlevel 2
I've never used Amaya's online features, which I believe will let you edit webpages on your server or at least upload edited pages to your server. If the OP had his copy configured to access his server, perhaps it did mess with his pages?

Earlier this year w3.org's Amaya was suddenly blocked from running on my Windows 10 system with Webroot installed. I have used it for years to edit or create HTML pages on my system as I much prefer its shortcut keys to that of BlueGriffon. I really miss Amaya. BlueGriffon uses far too much mousing around with menus. (BlueGriffon is a much newer program than Amaya.)

Does anyone know if Amaya was blocked by Webroot or Windows10 Defender?

Can it be unblocked? I tried to Allow it via Webroot, but messed it up since I couldn't figure out WR's radio buttons, unselected vs. selected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

Your best bet is to get the Webroot Support Team by submitting a Support Ticket to help you resolve this issue. It  just may need to be whitelisted. Support is free with your Webroot subscription. They usually respond in 24-48 hours.

Please look here at the Webroot help Documents below in the meantime.

Controlling active processes
https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingSystemControl/Control...
Blocking/Allowing files
https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#ManagingQuarantine/Blockin...
Managing protected applications
https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#ManagingIdentityProtection...
 Managing active connections
https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingFirewallProtectionWeb...

Hope this helps?

Userlevel 2
Sherry,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Although I'm not certain that Webroot is what is blocking Amaya. It might be Windows10 Defender. Thanks for the links to learn about webroot. I will look at them.
Dave
(dezingg)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Dave, 

Yes, one way to check if Webroot is blocking Amaya is to right click on Webroot in the task bar and shut it down.. Enter the captcha and then try Amaya. But make sure to enable Webroot afterwards. By opening Webroot from the start/ All Programs/Webroot. Or just type Webroot in the Search bar. Then you'll know if it's Webroot or Windows Defender.  Sorry I neglected to completely answer your question.