Android OS phone question

• 25 September 2015
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 6
Last year I finally bit the bullet and got a 'smart phone' because I neede to be able to check out my emails while in transit to be available to my clients immediately.

When I got the new phone I loaded up my WSA Anywhere security on my LG Optimus phone and have been feeling very safe ever since.

However, I have had a few things come up all together in a clump and I need some input from you tech savvy folks here if you have a moment to help a remedial techie here.

First, I was texting with a client two days ago when all of a sudden my screen went dark and I got a message that said 'Unfortunately Google Search has stopped'.  Since all I do is check me emails when I get the 'ding' notification, and send text messages like a fiend, I really don't go on line and do any searches or anything like that AT ALL, so i was surprised that Google Search was doing anything on my phone.

It took away my keyboard so that I could receive and read emails and texts but I could not respond.  I took it to the local TMobile store and the girl helping me removed the Google Toolbar at the top of my touch screen on my phone ( which had been there since I got the phone last December) because she said that my phone was 'old' and the updates from Google probably didn't interface correctly with my phone.

Since I don't use Google for anything that I am aware of, this was fine, and it fixed my problem.

However, i was also notified that I need to update/upload th NEW version of Outlook to my phone so that I can continue to check my emails and be proactive with my clients.

When I clicked on the message about needing to upload the new version, i got a message that said that my phone cannot get a 'secure connection' and asked if i wanted to continue.

So, of course, I say no.  What i am wondering is if there is a way that Webroot can be used as a means of navigating the web on the few times I use it for these sorts of downloads and such? I want to be sure that nothing can compromise the security of my phone and the information that I am working on when I am composing and sending emails, so I was hoping you had some information for me?

And, on a related but tangential note, I have been reading the reviews about the new Outlook app and it seems that 50% of the people using it HATE the new app because it not only drains the battery life when it is running, but it also takes away alot of privacy and security features be allowing other programs access and NOT allowing the user to set up their own security and privacy custom settings.  It also isn't user friendly and seems to be very difficult to use when one wants straight forward access like they had with the previous app.

Is there some other way to get  access to my emails using another method other than downloading this new app that sounds like a nightmare.

Thanks so much for letting me vent and I look forward to any advice/input you can give me! :D

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there, good to see you again :)

I can answer the first question.  If you are using WSA-Internet Security Plus OR WSA-Complete, you can use the SecureWeb Browser on your Android.  That will help you avoid bad websites and downloads onto the device, and of course you will also have WSA Mobile on the device as well.  

In short, YES to your first question.  :)

Now I have no idea about the second, so I will leave 'the floor' to someone else for that part 🙂
Userlevel 6
When I attempt that, it says that ' A secure connection could not be established to this site. Do you wish to proceed'. Do I just bit the bullet and tap yes?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
When I attempt that, it says that ' A secure connection could not be established to this site. Do you wish to proceed'. Do I just bit the bullet and tap yes?
That is a rather hard question.  You CAN, but it will not be a secure "https" connection, it will be a standard "http" connection most likely.  It sounds like the web site in question may not have/support https ?

@ if you are around, I think I can use a hand here...   🙂
Userlevel 7
Hello,

? I can't advise you to say yes or no to that.

Honestly if it its not a trusted https connection I would be wary.

Can you please provide the link?

Regards,
Userlevel 6
How would I do that? I warned you, I'm why they created the term remedial techie...
Userlevel 6
I was looking at my phone and it shows that there is an app i have that is called WebrootSecure but it just goes to the purchase home page where it talks about all of the products available.

Since I have WSA Complete, I shouldn't have to buy anything new, right?  And there is an app on there that I can upload that soundsl ike it should be the Webroot Browser.

Should I attempt to upload that and is that something I could use at as https type of secure link so that I could, if necessary, go directly to Outlook and check my emails that way since the new app seems to be nothing but awful?

Sorry to be such a dim bulb here...
I did warn you...:( 
Userlevel 7
Hey there!

You are NOT a dim bulb.. the mobile apps are a bit confusing.  It took me quite a while to figure them out, and I still have problems helping others with them.

If the app you see is the Secure Web Browser, there will be an option, somewhere in the settings menus, to log in or register it.  That will get rid of the prompt to pay for it.

:)
Userlevel 6
Recently when I am running my scan by tapping on the icon and running it manually, I notice that whent it gets to about 99% completed it gets stuck forever while scanning something called: VidClip

It stays on that for what seems like an excessively long time and then it finishes the scan, but it takes so long that the timer for my backlight causes the screen to go dark ( to save battery life, not like it interferes with the operating of the phone ) and even when I tap it to get the screen back to see where I am, it is STILL grinding on the scan for the VidClip.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi gr8auntteffie,

I just installed VidClip from the Google Play Store: This is what I found.

VidClip Trial is a fully-functional version of VidClip: Material Video Camera. The only limitation is the maximum length of the individual clips you can record (10 seconds). Please acquire the paid version to remove this limitation and record clips of any length.***
Transform your device into a powerful camcorder / video camera.
VidClip is a videocamera app that allows you to record quality video with ease. An optimized user interface gives you fast access to the main features* of your camera, including:
- Focus: Auto / Manual (drag to focus)
- Exposure: Auto / Manual (drag to expose)
- Resolution
- White Balance
- ISO
- Exposure Compensation
- Zoom
- Flashlight

I ran a Webroot scan and the scan completed successfully without a hitch.

Would you restart your Android device and scan again and see if Webroot Scan has the same issue?

Userlevel 6
This is one of the things I don't like about the whole Google deal with their auto downloads of apps that I know nothing about and don't need. I don't play games on my phone, I only upgrade to the touch phone so I could read client emails while on the road.

Anyway, I have restarted my phone as it is supposed to help keep the battery life longer and it does the same thing, hitches while it scans through the VidClip app, and then when I run an immediate rescan, thinking that it has chewed through the problem, it will do it again.

Eventually it does complete, and it's not like it takes 10 minutes to scan through, but it just seems to be a new but consistent hitch and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well I am not sure what is going on. Do you have the latest Android Version of Webroot? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Announcements-and-Release-Notes/Android-Version-3-7-0-7200/m-p/228169

You could Submit a Support Ticket and they can look into this for you. I would do a clean reinstall of Webroot if you are having these issues if it was me.

My Android scans in seconds ..a minute at the most! Webroot shouldn't take 10 minutes to scan.