Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17682 to Fast Ring and Skip Ahead

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
May 31, 2018 10:03 am
By Dona Sarkar and Brandon LeBlancHello Windows Insiders!
Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17682 (RS5) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring in addition to those who opted in to Skip Ahead.

What’s new in Build 17682

Sets Improvements

We’ve heard your feedback and have been hard at work updating the new tab page to make it more obvious you can launch apps. When you click the plus button in a Sets window, you will now see apps included in your frequent destinations list. You’ll also find that we’ve integrated the all apps list into this page so you can browse your apps, rather than just using the search box – apps that support Sets will launch into a tab when clicked. If you have News Feed selected, simply click the “Apps” link next to “News Feed” to switch to the all apps list.

Note: This is a server-side change flighting up for Insider who is on recent builds.

Managing your wireless projection experience

One of the things we’ve heard from you is that it’s hard to know when you’re wirelessly projecting and how to disconnect if your session especially if started from file explorer or from an app. In today’s build, just like remote desktop you’ll see a control banner at the top of your screen when you’re in a session. The banner keeps you informed of the state of your connection, allows you to quick disconnect or reconnect to the same sink and allows you to tune the connection based on what you are doing. This tuning is done via the settings gear, which optimizes the screen to screen latency based on one of the three scenarios:
  • Game mode minimizes the screen to screen latency to make gaming over a wireless connection possible.
  • Video mode increases the screen to screen latency to ensure the video on the big screen plays back smoothly and without glitching.
  • Productivity modes strikes a good balance between game mode and video mode where the screen to screen latency is responsive enough that typing feels natural, while ensuring videos don’t glitch too often.
By default, all connections start off in productivity mode. Stay tuned to this space as even more functionality is coming to the banner! Can’t wait to hear what you think of banner. Let us know via the Feedback Hub!

Microsoft Edge improvements for web developers

Web Authentication preview: Microsoft Edge now includes unprefixed support for the new Web Authentication API (a.k.a. WebAuthN). This evolves our previous support for the WebAuthN specification to enable the updated version of the API by default.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/05/31/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17682/#8xTGbyCeWYoY9jSM.97

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Super great! Thanks Daniel! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you Daniel, I have just finished installing it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Installing both the 32bit and the 64bit builds in my VM's!

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Awesome Daniel! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Good evening Daniel! Slowly but surely I am getting the latest Windows Insider Preview on my VM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Awesome Sherry!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
After a failed update ...I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter and now I have W 10 Insider Preview Build 17683 installed. Hooray!!:D

Goodnight folks! See you tomorrow!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
After a failed update ...I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter and now I have W 10 Insider Preview Build 17683 installed. Hooray!!:D

Yea my two failed 3 times very odd so I will have to send in a report! In the end I went into safe mode and deleted the C:WINDOWSSoftwareDistribution Folder and then they installed on the forth time without any issues. Instead of doing all this: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clear-softwaredistribution-folder-windows-10 going into safe mode and deleting the SoftwareDistribution Folder is much easier IMO!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Yea my two failed 3 times very odd so I will have to send in a report! In the end I went into safe mode and deleted the C:WINDOWSSoftwareDistribution Folder and then they installed on the forth time without any issues. Instead of doing all this: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clear-softwaredistribution-folder-windows-10 going into safe mode and deleting the SoftwareDistribution Folder is much easier IMO!

Never thought of that Daniel. But I did shut down Webroot too. It seems like it took me 2 or more hours to get that update installed.  It's just so frustrating when the update fails after its installed to 64%. 

Thanks for that bit of information because the Troubleshooter doesn't always work or fix issues with Windows updates. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Never thought of that Daniel. But I did shut down Webroot too. It seems like it took me 2 or more hours to get that update installed.  It's just so frustrating when the update fails after its installed to 64%. 

Thanks for that bit of information because the Troubleshooter doesn't always work or fix issues with Windows updates. ;)
The interesting thing I was watching WSA and it wasn't watching any Unknown files https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingSystemControl/ControllingActiveProcesses.htm%3FTocPath%3DUsing%2520System%2520Control%7C_____2 so I don't think WSA was affecting the newest preview update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Thanks for that bit of information because the Troubleshooter doesn't always work or fix issues with Windows updates. ;)
The interesting thing I was watching WSA and it wasn't watching any Unknown files https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingSystemControl/ControllingActiveProcesses.htm%3FTocPath%3DUsing%2520System%2520Control%7C_____2 so I don't think WSA was affecting the newest preview update.
Thanks Daniel, I'm sure your right and it had  nothing to do with the newest preview update...I also looked for unknown files last night but found none.