Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17751

• 31 August 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
August 31, 2018 10:02 am

By Dona Sarkar and Brandon LeBlancHello Windows Insiders!
Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17751 (RS5) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. In a blog post earlier today about all the great things being shown at IFA, we announced that RS5 will officially be called the Windows 10 October 2018 Update.

General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC

• The build watermark at the lower right-hand corner of the desktop is no longer present in this build. This does not mean this is the final build as we are not done yet. We’re just now beginning the phase of checking in final code to prepare for the final release.
  • We fixed the issue where logging out of your user profile or shutting down your PC would cause the PC to bugcheck (GSOD).
  • We fixed a recent issue where color and wallpaper settings weren’t correctly applied after a system upgrade when migration was done in offline mode.
  • We fixed an issue where, when installing a font for a single user (rather than installing as admin “for all users”), the install would fail with an unexpected error saying that the file was not a valid font file.
  • We fixed an issue where explorer.exe would crash if you were in Tablet Mode and opened Task View while in portrait orientation.
  • We fixed an issue where you might unexpectedly get an error saying no supported app is installed, after clicking certain activities in Timeline, even though a supported app was installed.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the amount of time it took to launch Settings having noticeably increased recently.
  • We fixed an issue where if your PC transitioned from battery power to being plugged in while Windows Update Settings was open and downloading an update, you might unexpectedly see it switch to “You’re up to date” immediately afterwards instead of continuing to show the downloading update.
  • We fixed an issue where the “Logged” drop down box was unexpectedly large in Event Viewer’s filter dialog at high DPI.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in some people unexpectedly seeing an “Ask for permission” message from Microsoft family features for Windows Shell Experience.
  • We fixed an issue where in high contrast the icons for items in Windows Security’s navigation pane wouldn’t change color with the rest of the item when mouse hovering over the item, making them difficult to see.
  • We fixed an issue where when using the Chinese (Simplified) IME it would leak memory on focus switch, adding up over time.
  • We fixed a recent issue that could result in some flakey network connectivity (including networks stuck “identifying”, and stale network flyout connectivity state). Note, there are a variety of factors that may impact your networking experience, so if you continue to experience flakiness after upgrading to this build, please log feedback.
  • Thanks everyone who tried out and shared feedback about the performance visualizations we added to the game bar with Build 17692. We’re taking them offline for now to re-evaluate the best possible approach going forward and work on giving you a great gaming experience on your PC.
  • We’ve updated the messaging in Snipping Tool to more closely align with the commitment we made here. You’ll also notice in the message that we’re exploring renaming our updated snipping experience – bringing together the old and new. The app update with this change hasn’t flighted yet to Fast, but if you have any feedback on the subject we’re open to hearing it.

Known issues

• When you use the Ease of Access Make Text bigger setting, you might see text clipping issues, or find that text is not increasing in size everywhere.
  • Narrator sometimes does not read in the Settings app when you navigate using Tab and arrow keys. Try switching to Narrator Scan mode temporarily. And when you turn Scan mode off again, Narrator will now read when you navigate using Tab and arrows key. Alternatively, you can restart Narrator to work around this issue.
  • Clicking on web links in PWAs such as Twitter doesn’t open the browser in this build. We’re working on a fix.
No downtime for Hustle-As-A-Service,
Dona <3
Updated August 31, 2018 10:06 am

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/08/31/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17751/#c00twc4XOiqzEJp8.97

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you Daniel, a job for the weekend for me.
Thanks, Daniel.
Going to attempt to install tonight while I'm watching the Cubbies. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you Daniel for the update! I'll have to make time to install it this weekend inbetween my canning and all. 😃
Well, the good news is that it updated a lot easier than the last update. The bad news is that, like the last update, this update has fubared my action center. I had to do a "Reset" after the last update only to have the problem reappear after this one. :@

Looks like a clean-install is in order. :@

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Well, the good news is that it updated a lot easier than the last update. The bad news is that, like the last update, this update has fubared my action center. I had to do a "Reset" after the last update only to have the problem reappear after this one. :@

Looks like a clean-install is in order. :@

Oh darn that doesn't sound good at all BD. Sorry to hear that!:(
@ wrote:

Oh darn that doesn't sound good at all BD. Sorry to hear that!:(
I suppose it goes with the territory, I guess. Don't know why this is happening now, all of the sudden. I was really hoping to see the issue listed in the "General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC" section, above. Oh well, maybe next time. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I tried installing on one of my VM's last night and gave up after it reverted from installing back to getting things ready at least twice.
But today I tried installing on my new VM machine and it seems to be going well and my oldest VM machine is at 40% as well right now so at present I am feeling hopeful that they will install with no more probs this time.