Any computer related nostalgia hanging around?

• 19 October 2014
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Following on from this topic Opening an Internet time capsule—Internet in a Box for Win95 it would be interesting to see what if anything our members could turn up such as old operating systems in disc/floppy disc form or any old programs.
Computers have not been around in the public domain for too many years BUT they have exploded onto the market and improved at such an incredible pace the old programs we have all loved all too soon get superceded by new ones so what have you all got laid around?

Regards
JtR

8 replies

Userlevel 7
I am going to have to find my DUAL floppy drive.  Last time I plugged it in a few years ago, it was still fully functional.  It is intended to be mounted like any floppy or CD drive into the front of the case into a single full bay space.  The drive itself, however, has TWO slots on the front: it will accept both the "old" 5 inch and the "new" 3 inch floppy sizes!
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
The only thing I have got is a VHS disc from Apple in 1995 pushing the virtues of the Apple Macintosh Performa.
The top of the range model is £2,349 LOL

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I still get nostalgic whenever I see a Commodore 64, which was my first computer.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I still get nostalgic whenever I see a Commodore 64, which was my first computer.
Oh my.. yes.  I am not sure if I still have it... I had an old one that had a problem with the power input.  I never did get around to fixing it, but I am not sure if I still have it.... I will have to do some real digging and looking now!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah it is probably hard to get parts at this point.  A few years back I still had one for nostalgia, but I managed to fry the sound chip.  I went to plug in the joystick and it was winter and very dry.  Static electricity jumped from my hand to one of the pins and knocked out the chip.  It was soldered directly to the board, so I had to desolder it and replace it with a new chip.  

These days it's probably just easier to go with an emulator 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
I was planning on visiting the DigiBarn Computer Museum some years ago on a road-trip to California with a friend of mine (he can actually been seen in some of the photos with Woz on the site) but we did not make it out there. The site itself is a throwback worthy of some of the collection they have... 

-Dan
Userlevel 7
This was my First Webroot Product I bought back in May 17, 2004 that came in a box measuring 9.5" x 8" x 1.5". Big box that only contained instructions and 1 CD-ROM. Hopefully this will become a collectors item someday. :D

Front of Box:

Back Of Box:

The Front of Box open like a Book:

Card inside Box with Activation Code and Instructions:

Wrapper Around Plastic Container that Held the CD-ROM:

CD-ROM:

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you for reviving this topic @. I tried to find my SpySweeper box+DVD with no luck at all.