Apple is pulling away from an increasingly outclassed competition

Userlevel 7

There is no other company in the same league as Apple when it comes to maintaining and updating such a wide and comprehensive ecosystem of devices and services. The pace of Apple’s new product unveilings has played a role in the company pulling away from the competition.

★★ Full Article ★★

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Nice to see a somewhat positive article on Apple.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve read quite a bit about how superior these new Apple chips are. I agree. It looks like they are running away from the other chipmakers. Will be interesting to see how this develops over the next few years.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes it is good to see positive new on Apple. Other than price of hardware I always struggle to see why people are so anti-Apple!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I work for a Mac-only IT company and have a fair amount of exposure so far to the Apple M chips. They are certainly at present doing very well. Stability over time we will have to see as only really 2 years old but so far so good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I work for a Mac-only IT company and have a fair amount of exposure so far to the Apple M chips. They are certainly at present doing very well. Stability over time we will have to see as only really 2 years old but so far so good.

My only real complaint so far is that they are memory hungry. I bought a personal MacBookPro M1 which only came with 16 GB (only - sigh) RAM, and it would sit in “beachball of death” just spinning a lot. So I traded it in for a 32 GB MacBookPro M1 Max. This thing is amazingly fast, it runs Windows Parallels at real time speed (yes, it plays games) and even lets you run a lot of native iOS apps. All very cool. But even at 32 GB, It is running out of memory all the time. Now I wish I had bought 64 GB. But damn, why would a personal computer really need 64 GB of RAM?  It is not like it is a build machine or anything. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Yes it is good to see positive new on Apple. Other than price of hardware I always struggle to see why people are so anti-Apple!

I personally think it is just one of those things that are “cool” to do. Hating on Apple is a personality trait for some. In my opinion you are spot on with your reasoning though. These days price is my only real gripe with them, and sometimes they surprise me with that. Overall I am very pleased with the direction the company is headed in. Far cry from what things looked like a few years ago. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yep. Agree they eat ram but hoping this will improve when apps have had more time to work with them. The processing power is impressive though.