Apple is reportedly developing its own search engine to take on Google

• 14 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I am never quite sure why companies try and make their own search engines. Google is so far ahead of everyone else in the sheer amounts of  data they have collected, how does one catch up?  

I often use DuckDuckGo as a search engine because I like the no-tracking aspect of it, but when I do a side by side comparison of results to Google, or even Bing’s results to Google, they do not compare at all. They are just not as good. 

Of course, if you want to use Google but do not want to be tracked, have a look at StartPage. They serve up results from Google, but hide you from Google’s servers. An interesting concept. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Agreed @MajorHavoc 

I can’t see the point. Surely google is now so established as the number one it’ll be Apple saying ‘use pages instead of Microsoft word’. Ultimately you have so much catch-up to do that you’ll never be a proper rival 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I am amused by your Pages over Word comment. As an Apple user for a very long time (and I use Windows and Linux too) I have not made the switch from Word to Pages fully yet.  I have just been using (and teaching) Office for so long I am very used to it. But I will admit that Word is becoming bloated again and they have once again changed how everything works, so I find myself spending more time learning how it works now than actually working with it. And I feel Pages is catching up, I can open Word documents, and save as Word if I have to, and I use it at work. So I am close to switching actually. Pages is much easier to use over what Word has become lately. 

Userlevel 7

Pages is much easier to use over what Word has become lately. 

And it’s FREE with updates! All of iWorks is FREE! 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Pages is much easier to use over what Word has become lately. 

And it’s FREE with updates! All of iWorks is FREE! 😀

That is a very good point as well. I was able to pick up a special on Office For Mac license for $50 total so I do not feel like I paid too much, but free is always better!  😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I use pages when I can, but ultimately many clients use word and I’ll be surprised if iWorks ever takes over.

I used to be an Apple trainer and taught an iWorks class. Students were always amazed at how much they could do for free without the office suite.