Apple’s still not catching scammy apps, and this time they’re on the Mac

• 16 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7

These apps won’t let you quit them unless you pay up or figure out their tricks

By Mitchell Clark  Apr 15, 2022, 8:39pm EDT

Scam app hunter / developer Kosta Eleftheriou, known for catching egregious scams that make it past Apple’s review process, has once again brought attention to a new crop of shady apps being peddled through the App Store. This time they’re on the Mac, and they’re using pop-ups that make it extremely difficult to quit an app without agreeing to outrageous subscription prices — all without Apple noticing, despite its argument that its App Review process keeps devices and users safe.

★★ Full Article ★★

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are there a lot of these sort of apps on the app store? I always thought their store.was pretty clean (comparatively with Android at least)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I didn’t realise that these types of app existed. How naive I am!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Just goes to show you have to be careful wherever you are. Apple may do a lot to keep their stores secure, but nothing is 100% effective. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, nothing can be completely safe these days but i feel the apple App Store is still fairly safe.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

No, nothing can be completely safe these days but i feel the apple App Store is still fairly safe.

For the most part I agree. Though you always need to keep an eye out no matter where you are. The illusion around the safety of the walled garden they portray gives a false sense of safety to most people. Android is known to have these types of issues, iOS/macOS not so much. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I find there is a lot of arrogance from Mac users on how bulletproof their systems are. Stories like this are good reminders that we need to remain vigilant regardless of how safe we think our systems are.