Automobile Industry Accelerates Into Security

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
After several demonstrations and rumours of suspected attacks against motor vehicles the industry is finally taking action.

Kelly Jackson Higgins  7/15/2014

"The auto industry's move toward an ISAC comes on the heels of that of the retail and oil and natural gas industries, which recently formed ISACs for their respective industries. While retail and oil & natural gas have faced a wave of real-world threats and attacks on their systems, carmakers for the most part so far have been mostly faced with research demonstrating possible attacks. The heat is on, however, because by 2017, more than 60% of new vehicles will be connected to the Internet, auto industry officials say."

Full Article

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Cheers, Jasper...I find it interesting that the four or five companies that I have heard of with plans to produce cars connected to the internet/run by a central controlling computer, have all I believe based there offerrings on IOS rather than Windows...(old joke warning) probably because they want to minimise the chance of crashes...:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This is becoming a real issue for me.  My phone connects to my car, and I can do things like turn off and on charging, and start climate control, all remotely.  So someone malicious could at the very least deplete my battery.  Fortunately Nissan did a good job with multi-factor authentication when I signed up, but if their app has a security hole then I'd be vulnerable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Very good Baldrick

Actually I do not know if it is the cynic or the eternal pessimist in me but I keep thinking of the potential attacks IF the new systems were hacked into and vehicles directed to certain targets.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
This is becoming a real issue for me.  My phone connects to my car, and I can do things like turn off and on charging, and start climate control, all remotely.  So someone malicious could at the very least deplete my battery.  Fortunately Nissan did a good job with multi-factor authentication when I signed up, but if their app has a security hole then I'd be vulnerable.
Well, Nic...now when you get lost and don't know where you are going you can explain yourself to your Good Lady by saying that some has hacked your car and taken it over for use as a mobile botnet...heeheehee. ;)
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Well, Nic...now when you get lost and don't know where you are going you can explain yourself to your Good Lady by saying that some has hacked your car and taken it over for use as a mobile botnet...heeheehee. ;)
That should be added to the "list of excuses" for being late!

In all seriousness, the trend of internet features becoming standard in automobiles opens another door to the cybercriminals. It is an issue that should be addressed and I am glad the auto industry is stepping up to the plate. 

Userlevel 7
You are quite right, Beth...on the serious side of things...but I just can't resist asking the question; if ths sort of thing takes off there will need to be versions of security apps to protect the in-car systems...but what do you call that version of WSA...Webroot SecureAnywhere Mobile?...but that has already been used...heehee
Userlevel 6
Solly, I think maybe WSA Security for the road ? WSA for Wheels?
Hold that thought and post something in the ideas exchange
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@BB97 wrote:
Hold that thought for and post something in the ideas exchange
That would be true mobile security 🙂
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
@BB97 wrote:
Hold that thought for and post something in the ideas exchange
That would be true mobile security :)
Thank you Nic!
Userlevel 7
@BB97 wrote:
Beth...I like it...but what about Webroot SecureAutomotive?  Nah, doesn't have a snappy sound to it..so perhaps Webroot SecureRoadWarrior?  Nah, perhaps a tad too agressive.

WSA for Wheels it is then...;)
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
@BB97 wrote:
Beth...I like it...but what about Webroot SecureAutomotive?  Nah, doesn't have a snappy sound to it..so perhaps Webroot SecureRoadWarrior?  Nah, perhaps a tad too agressive.

WSA for Wheels it is then...;)
Thank you Solly!