Can Anyone Recommend A Good Windows PC Disk Defrag Program

Userlevel 6
  • Community Leader
  • 324 replies
Can Anyone Recommend A Good Windows PC Disk Defrag Program?  My Windows Disk Defrag program is not getting the job done.

55 replies

Just buy an SSD. They're cheap and don't ever need derfagging. ;)

Not to mention the very noticeable increase in performance. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Received an email from Ccleaner on 2/13/18 with the following message:
We’ve moved Piriform.com to CCleaner.com!
We will soon be sending emails from a new CCleaner.com domain.
Just thought I let you know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
wrote:
you could always use Internet Security Plus it has built in features or use the one your computer came with
Only if you have the Best Buy Subscription through Geek Squad but it doesn't Defrag Hard Drives! The versions of ISP from everywhere else doesn't have the Optimizer feature. The Complete and Gamer versions also have Optimizer.
All Home Prducts: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/compare
Gamer version: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/gamer-av
Best Buy Subscription via Geek Squad: https://www.webroot.com/ca/en/home/products/geeksquad-dl
you could always use Internet Security Plus it has built in features or use the one your computer came with
Userlevel 7
Yes, I do. A very smart acquisition from a Business Standpoint.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
wrote:
Defraggler has always been my favorite. Everything Piriform does is Gold (CCleaner & Speccy as well).
You know Avast owns Piriform: https://press.avast.com/avast-acquires-piriform-maker-of-ccleaner
Userlevel 7
Defraggler has always been my favorite. Everything Piriform does is Gold (CCleaner & Speccy as well).
Some of the finest Defrag Softwares of 2018 are:

1. Defraggler
2. Smart Defrag
3. Auslogics Disk Defrag

There are other awesome Defrag Software too but I would suggest you to read more about them before deciding which one would be best for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I had to do a clean install of Win 7 on my laptop with 2 SSD's and using Diskeeper 2012 with Hyperfast WoW look at the boot time before it was 30 to 40 seconds.:D

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Daniel, I presume you're not using Diskeeper for your SSD.  Why do you need it, then?

To keep the free space optimized as I posted the article earlier Diskeeper 12 Now Includes HyperFast

HTH,

Daniel
Userlevel 6
Daniel, I presume you're not using Diskeeper for your SSD.  Why do you need it, then?
Userlevel 6
Naprosto, Petr!  😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
However, I'm having trouble with the translation of "Takže p?íšt? si budeme psát již ?esky."
I am not surprised at all :D ... it can be translated as "So we will be writing each other already in Czech language next time"
Userlevel 6
David, since the mere listing of Webroot or Microsoft Essentials is all it takes to cure a potential problem, without any downside, I'll give that a try and see if there's a noticeable difference.  I would agree that I don't think Webroot is creating any issue, but no harm done listing it.  Whatever problems I'm no experiencing are minimal.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:

You do amaze me about your Czech language skill 😃 Takže p?íšt? si budeme psát již ?esky :D

I use the Google condensed version of the Czech language!  :D  However, I'm having trouble with the translation of "Takže p?íšt? si budeme psát již ?esky."   Google will only take me so far!  :D 
Userlevel 7
Richard, thanks for your comprehensive feedback! It really seems DK vastly improved performance of your PCs. That's how it should be ;)
@ wrote:
Hezký den, Petr!
You do amaze me about your Czech language skill 😃 Takže p?íšt? si budeme psát již ?esky :D
Userlevel 7
Hi guys!

I have not had the chance to try this yet, but I wanted to comment on your experiences Richard.  You noted that Malwarebytes was slowing down the program while running.  That does not surprise me at all: many AV solutions will scan any and all files accessed, so as Diskeeper accesses files to maintain the drive, the AV will scan them.  I would expect Microsoft Essentials would have the same effect.

I am not sure if this is the case with Webroot to be honest, as Webroot does work a bit differently.  I am curious though if you have tried turning off Webroot protection for the duration of a run of Diskeeper to see what if any impact that has?
Userlevel 6
Good morning, Petr.  Thank you for those articles.

I run Windows XP on my desktop and Windows 7 on my laptop.  I'm on my desktop 90 percent of the time.  According to both articles, I need to defrag my desktop.  I have tried Microsoft Essentials but was not impressed with it.  I don't remember why.  With respect to Windows Disk Defragmenter, it has stopped working efficiently.  I presume it has to do with the age of my drive (5-6 years).  However, I had assumed that my drive was beyond repair due to its age.  Now, having tried Diskeeper, I have come to rethink that and believe I have addressed the problem, at least in part.

I will stress that Diskeeper seems to slow down some operations.  I mentioned earlier that Malwarebytes seems to treat Diskeeper with suspicion and apparently scans it or does something to it to slow down some processes.  I called Condusiv Technologies tech support and they immediately addressed the problem by having me opt out Malwarebytes.  That made an immediate improvement.  I think there may be something else slightly slowing down my system, perhaps Microsoft Essentials (which still seems to be running in the background) or maybe Webroot.  I will get back with Condusiv Technologies tech support today and opt out those two, just in case they are somehow conflicting with Diskeeper.  It doesn't hurt to list them...no harm or interference is created by doing so.

All this being said, I am convinced that Diskeeper has made an improvement and would recommend that you take a closer look at it.

Hezký den, Petr!
Userlevel 7
Hi Richard,

I have to admit you that due to your positive experience with Diskeeper I have spent a decent portion of my weekend studying and reviewing everything about defrag even if I don't think my PC performance would extensively require it.

Firstly I checked logs from my system (Vista Business 32bit) and assured myself that Vista in-built defraggler is working as per the set schedule and correctly. I observed that every Wednesday at 1 am the defrag runs without errors.

I read then a lot of articles about defrag and stumbled upon this and this article which, coupled with the smooth performance of my PC, persuaded me that I don't need a third party defrag solution.

Nevertheless, I got learned about defrag quite a bit at least. Regardless on my conclusion I am glad that DK improved your PC performance :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Diskeeper detects SSD's and turns off all defragging but if you have SSD's & HDD's it would auto defrag the HDD's.
Diskeeper 12 Now Includes HyperFast Increase the Speed and Performance of Both Hard Drives and Solid State Drives.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Thanks for letting us know and I hope you enjoy the SSD! I personally wish I would have waited until the prices dropped so that I could afford one with more storage.
Userlevel 6
Yes, once I complete the new build, I will use my current setup elsewhere.

I would not normally endorse this, or any other, product unless I was fully familiar with it.  However, I believe this one is certainly worth at least trying.
Userlevel 7
What would you use it for - would you be keeping the HDs along with the SSD?

I might download the trial for my HDs.
Userlevel 6
Hi, Mike.

If you're referring to Diskeeper 12 Home, I'm presently using their trialware for 30 days.  After that, it's $29.95 (they keep reminding you, as you get a popup every time you turn on your machine).

I've been fiddling with this product for the better part of the day.  I've run numerous scans (at least 10).  Each scan takes less than 10 minutes at this point.  I am very favorably impressed with this product.  It has defragged A LOT of fragments on my drive;  stuff that Windows Disk Defragmenter couldn't.  My machine is running very well at this point.  I'm now on automatic, as I don't think I need do any more manual defrags.

I'll probably write a review of this product if and when I decide to purchase.

I would check this one out.  Daniel swears by it, and on his recommendation, I tried it.  I'm happy I did so.  Also, when I do my new build, Daniel advises it works well with a SSD (with the caveat that you don't defrag a SSD).
Userlevel 7
Thank you for updating us RWM. How much do you pay for the cleaner?