can I see a term typed into a search box that I did not type?

• 23 May 2016
  • 3 replies

I went to a wesite I go to frequently where people buy and sell certain collectables and you can type into a search box what you're looking for.  On three occasions on three different days, there were terms typed in that I had not typed.   Does that mean my computer has been hacked and someone is remotely messing around inside it?  Is what I saw normal, or a possible glitch in that website, or an indication that I've been hacked?  Thanks to anyone who might be able to answer this question.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi DaveE

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Whilst what you are describing is strange it does not necessarily mean that you have been hacked or that your system has been compromised in some way.

I would go witht he basics and run a manual scan with WSA to see if that turns up anything. I it does not and you are still concerned then I would Open a Support Ticket, describing what you are seeing so that the Support Team can investigate this for you.

If you do decide to do that then please let us know what they come back with as this sort of feedback is very useful to use in the Community.

Regards, Baldrick
Thank you, Baldrick.  I really appreciate your responding to my question.  There are no other obvious indications of having been hacked, and I have run multiple Webroot scans that have not turned up any problems.  I will think about opening a support ticket, but for now I think I'm just going to try to stop worrying about it for a while.  Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Hi DaveE

You are most welcome. :D

Thinking about it you could also try  clearing the cache, history, etc. for the browser(s) that you use/that you are using when you get the issue as it could also be down to an issue with that.

Anyway, if you continue to see the symptoms then I would strongly urge you to get it checked out via the Support Team...just to be on the safe side/to put your mind at rest.

Please keep us posted on developments.

Regards, Baldrick