Can I use WebRoot to block windows automatic updates?

• 15 January 2017
  • 3 replies

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello
@ wrote:
No
How To Turn Off Windows Update In Windows 10

1) Search for services.msc in Cortana/Search box and open it.
2) Find Windows Update in the services list.
3) Double click Windows Update services. In the Windows Update Properties Window, select ‘Disabled’ in the Startup type list box.
4) Click Apply and Ok.
5) Stop Windows update service
Userlevel 7
Hi Skaterboy54

Welcome to the Community Forums.

To answer you specific question as to whether one can use WSA to block WIndows Updates the answer is 'No' as WSA does not handle the control of inbound connections to you system from the Internet...that is left to the WIndows Firewall. You could try finding & blocking either the processes or services related to WIndows UPdate, using WSA, but personally I do not believe that would work and you are more likely to break something and make your system unusable.

So do not even try going that way unless yo are absolutely sure yo know what yo are doing...and even then I would not.

Having said this Microsoft are have just or are soon going to allow WIndows 10 Home users to defer WIndows Updates for a limited time after release...personally I believe that will be you best option especially if what is driving this request is not wanting to take updates the moment that they are release (not sure why that would be as I do and I iahve not had a single issue with any as a result).

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
You can use Webroot to block Cortana.