CCleaner optimizes memory usage, adds support for forthcoming Chrome 64-bit browser

• 25 June 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
By Nick Peers/ Posted  June 25 2014

As the month draws to a close, Piriform issues its regular update to its freeware Windows cleaning utility with the releases of CCleaner 4.15 and CCleaner Portable 4.15.
Highlights in the latest release include support for the forthcoming 64-bit build of Google Chrome, plus an improved secure wipe algorithm as well as memory and architecture optimizations.
Following on from the recent pre-release versions of Chrome 64-bit, CCleaner has been updated to work with the new iteration of the browser ahead of its final release. In addition to this, version 4.15 has also added support for the niche Yandex browser.

betanews/ full read here/ http://betanews.com/2014/06/25/ccleaner-optimizes-memory-usage-adds-support-for-forthcoming-chrome-64-bit-browser/

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Another excellent tool available in both a Free and Paid version. I have been using it for several years. When an update is available, you receive a notification (you can choose not to in the settings) that an update is available, it does not download automatically, it lets you decide, something I appreciate!
Userlevel 7
A good tool but I have found it a tad aggressive in some cases...so I tend to steer clear of it...using a couple of other similar tools.

Just my two pennies worth...;)
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
A good tool but I have found it a tad aggressive in some cases...so I tend to steer clear of it...using a couple of other similar tools.

Just my two pennies worth...;)
Baldrick, what tools do you suggest? Also, I see how CCleaner can be aggressive, I do backups and select cookies to keep etc, and I also de-select items. So do you have a couple more "pennies worth"? ;):D 
Userlevel 7
Well BB97, since you ask...I use (i) WSA's System Optimizer which does a good basic job, and (ii) SlimUtilities Slim Cleaner, which I find very efficacious, and quite safe. :D
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Well BB97, since you ask...I use (i) WSA's System Optimizer which does a good basic job, and (ii) SlimUtilities Slim Cleaner, which I find very efficacious, and quite safe. :D
Thanks Baldrick! I use System Optimizer and I also have SlimCleaner. I do the analysis on CCleaner and Slim Cleaner and compare results. System Optimizer I use for the main cleanup.

Its nice to know that I chose something that people with much more knowledge than me recommend :D
Userlevel 7
Hi BB97

Knowledge is one thing (and I would not say that I have that much) but I think that experience is more important and one gets that by using/trying apps, etc., just like you do...so your experience is just as valid as mine...which is why it is good to share and discuss...as we all do here.

I am glad that someone else uses the combo that I do...it is reassuring...;)
Userlevel 7
For years I used Ace Utilities and had no problems...than I switched to CCleaner and so far I prefer CCleaner it does a good job IMHO but again that is what I have observed so far