CCleaner updating itself against users’ wishes [Updated]

• 19 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
September 18th, 2018  By Wayne Williams

It’s fair to say CCleaner has lost a lot of fans since Avast took over Piriform last year.

We’ve seen problems with malware, bundled software, and pop-up ads, and then most recently Avast made a number of unwelcome privacy changes to the popular system cleaner, and removed the ability to quit the software.

It eventually pulled the most recent problematic update, and released a replacement, CCleaner 5.46, without the privacy issues, but it turns out that this release has problems of its own.

According to a growing number of users, and posts on the Piriform Community Forums, CCleaner has been updating itself to the latest version, even if users have turned off updates.

It was originally speculated in the Forum that Avast Antivirus’s software updater might have been responsible for CCleaner updating -- rather than CCleaner itself -- but it turns out that wasn’t the case.

Full Article.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Yea I'm still a proud owner of CCleaner Pro and Speccy Pro but for how long I don't know??? 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I love the program myself but wish like many others that Avast had not bought it.
I have it set not to update etc and so far that has worked with me and I am using an older version from before all the trouble started.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
I love the program myself but wish like many others that Avast had not bought it.
I have it set not to update etc and so far that has worked with me and I am using an older version from before all the trouble started.
I fully agree Avast has not done very well at all with CCleaner!
@ wrote:
September 18th, 2018  By Wayne Williams

It’s fair to say CCleaner has lost a lot of fans since Avast took over Piriform last year.

We’ve seen problems with malware, bundled software, and pop-up ads, and then most recently Avast made a number of unwelcome privacy changes to the popular system cleaner, and removed the ability to quit the software. Discord  Adobe Reader  iTunes  

It eventually pulled the most recent problematic update, and released a replacement, CCleaner 5.46, without the privacy issues, but it turns out that this release has problems of its own.

According to a growing number of users, and posts on the Piriform Community Forums, CCleaner has been updating itself to the latest version, even if users have turned off updates.

It was originally speculated in the Forum that Avast Antivirus’s software updater might have been responsible for CCleaner updating -- rather than CCleaner itself -- but it turns out that wasn’t the case.

Full Article.
Me too I Adore the program myself however wish like numerous others that Avast had not gotten it.
I have it set not to refresh and so forth thus far that has worked with me and I am utilizing a more seasoned variant from before all the inconvenience began.