CNET review : Nokia Lumia 520 - One of the best budget phones around

Userlevel 7
When Nokia first unveiled its Nokia Lumia 520 this past February, the Windows Phone proved that Nokia could achieve new lows.

That's only when it comes to price, though, not features. As CNET UK discovered while fully reviewing the Lumia 520, Nokia has managed to create a very inexpensive handset that will sell in the U.K. for about 100 pounds at full retail price.
In U.S. currency, that translates to just under $200 without a contract.

Read here http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57579109-85/nokia-lumia-520-review-one-of-the-best-budget-phones-around/
and full review here http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/nokia-lumia-520-review-50010925/

20 replies

Userlevel 7
I cannot help thinking that Nokia days are over regardless on how they strive. Nokia rested on laurels and now have to pay a big price. I don't know whether they can lure customers back. As for myself, former Nokia user, I never go back.
Userlevel 7
Yeah you're right about that Petr. But I think this within the grasp phone could be considered.:)
Userlevel 7
I have used the Lumia 620 and its easily the best phone in its price range. The Windows phone 8 is an excellent phone OS as its quick,easy to use and isnt as restrictive as IOS.
Userlevel 7
Ah thanks for sharing your experience Roy. 🙂 You've used the big brother of lumia 520 and you can see the specs from the review. What's your take on lumia 520?
Userlevel 7
I am currently using a Windows phone myself (7.8) and its the best phone I have ever bought (apart from my beloved ngage). I have used the Lumia 800 and 620. The 620 is an excellent handset and looking at the reviews of the 520 I would disagree with a few points.

Windows Phone app store still lags rivals - Granted it doesnt have the sheer volume of apps but lets be honest the amount of crap apps in the Play market on android is unreal. Its got the apps you actually need

No front-facing camera - Who actually uses Videos calls? My phone is the same if I want to use video calls I flip the phone around.

Lacklustre rear camera -Its a budget phone what do you expect. Plus pretty much all camera phones except for the really high end ones arent great.

Poor Battery life - I have heard the same thing said about the 620 but my friend has reported excellent battery life

If I wasnt so happy with my current windows phone I would buy a 620 in a hearbeat.  In my opinion the Windows phone OS is the best on the market by a country mile. The Apple IOS looks really dated despite the extra new features that they have added (which btw the robbed from the windows phone and android OS). Android is too fragmented and its biggest feature is also its biggest flaw (open source).

Userlevel 7
Thanks Roy the the feedback. It's always helpful to hear from users than only reviews.
@ wrote:
The Apple IOS looks really dated despite the extra new features that they have added (which btw the robbed from the windows phone and android OS). Android is too fragmented and its biggest feature is also its biggest flaw (open source). 
Agree but still iOS and especially Android has the biggest slice of a mobile cake. Win phones have a long road yet. Another point is that success of Win phones is highly dependant on the future development of iOS and Android resp. how these systems will continue to thrive.
Userlevel 7
I`m quite happy that its in 3rd place if windows phone can just keep chipping away at the other two OS`s markets it will be fine.
Userlevel 7
Hmmm, a Webroot employee who uses a mobile device for which WSA isn't available. How it can be? :D :D
Userlevel 7
It's so close I can taste it!!!

Source: HTC
Userlevel 7
Oh Mike, I am really keen to hear your feedback because as I said in other thread I am considering the One to buy. Another option for me is Xperia Z which I already played with. So I am seeking a winner.
Userlevel 7
Don't worry, I will be sure to update you!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I am currently using a Windows phone myself (7.8) and its the best phone I have ever bought (apart from my beloved ngage). I have used the Lumia 800 and 620. The 620 is an excellent handset and looking at the reviews of the 520 I would disagree with a few points.

Windows Phone app store still lags rivals - Granted it doesnt have the sheer volume of apps but lets be honest the amount of crap apps in the Play market on android is unreal. Its got the apps you actually need

No front-facing camera - Who actually uses Videos calls? My phone is the same if I want to use video calls I flip the phone around.

Lacklustre rear camera -Its a budget phone what do you expect. Plus pretty much all camera phones except for the really high end ones arent great.

Poor Battery life - I have heard the same thing said about the 620 but my friend has reported excellent battery life

If I wasnt so happy with my current windows phone I would buy a 620 in a hearbeat.  In my opinion the Windows phone OS is the best on the market by a country mile. The Apple IOS looks really dated despite the extra new features that they have added (which btw the robbed from the windows phone and android OS). Android is too fragmented and its biggest feature is also its biggest flaw (open source).

Your points make total sense.:)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks Roy the the feedback. It's always helpful to hear from users than only reviews.
@ wrote:
The Apple IOS looks really dated despite the extra new features that they have added (which btw the robbed from the windows phone and android OS). Android is too fragmented and its biggest feature is also its biggest flaw (open source). 
Agree but still iOS and especially Android has the biggest slice of a mobile cake. Win phones have a long road yet. Another point is that success of Win phones is highly dependant on the future development of iOS and Android resp. how these systems will continue to thrive.
And Android is also the most popular.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Don't worry, I will be sure to update you!
Thanks Mike, I wanted to play with HTC One in our stores or carriers shops but they have dummies, no real piece yet :@
Userlevel 7
I stumbled upon this article. It looks like Samsung is really worry of HTC One and they don't preclude to use "dirty tricks".

I for one add that Samsung really needs to worry about HTC One.
Userlevel 7
If that's true I think Samsung took the right step. I mean it must stay in the game. And I think HTC is a big threat. Just take a look here http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57579429-251/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one-a-clash-of-two-android-titans/
Userlevel 7
@Amit wrote:
If that's true I think Samsung took the right step.
Am I missing something? Did you mean that you agree with such dirty tricks Samsung did?
Userlevel 7
LOL. Petr, unlike Wilders I couldn't find any sarcasm icons to use here. What I really meant was that HTC smartphones are very good and will certainly pose a considerable threat to Samsung's market share. If Samsung can do nothing other than taking up such tricks. HTC is getting better.:)
Userlevel 7
@Amit wrote:
I couldn't find any sarcasm icons to use here
Yes, I miss them as well.
@Amit wrote:
What I really meant was that HTC smartphones are very good and will certainly pose a considerable threat to Samsung's market share. If Samsung can do nothing other than taking up such tricks. HTC is getting better.:)
OK, perfectly explained. Thanks. I thought so but wanted to be sure 😃
Userlevel 7
Glad you understood.:D