Cnet Review: The gorgeous HTC One is a winner


Userlevel 7
  • Community Expert Advisor
  • 1649 replies
[As HTC's new flagship smartphone, the HTC One is packed to the rafters with top-notch components and technologies including some of the latest processing gear from Qualcomm. In addition to being state of the art, the successor to 2012's HTC One X is lovingly crafted from premium metals, leaving no doubt that the Taiwanese smartphone manufacturer has put a considerable amount of blood, sweat, and tears into this handset.]
 
Read here http://reviews.cnet.com/htc-one/
 
 


32 replies

Userlevel 7
Thanks Amit for the review. HTC One is also my winner. I was almost decided to go for ASUS PadFone but now after reading few reviews and having a touch on HTC One in the shop I have changed my mind and I will probably buy a One. I purposely say "probably" because as far as design is concerned I am amazed from Xperia Z made of the durable glass with waterproof and dust protection IP57. So I have a dilema but this dilema already lasts for a while. While I am always decided for a new mobile another new model comes on the market and destroys my intention. The result is that I am buying a new phone for two years already. It's a shame because money isn't an issue as I am going to buy it on my company's account. I am just not able to ultimately decide which model I should buy and I don't want to change phone every three months.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks Amit for the review. HTC One is also my winner. I was almost decided to go for ASUS PadFone but now after reading few reviews and having a touch on HTC One in the shop I have changed my mind and I will probably buy a One. I purposely say "probably" because as far as design is concerned I am amazed from Xperia Z made of the durable glass with waterproof and dust protection IP57. So I have a dilema but this dilema already lasts for a while. While I am always decided for a new mobile another new model comes on the market and destroys my intention. The result is that I am buying a new phone for two years already. It's a shame because money isn't an issue as I am going to buy it on my company's account. I am just not able to ultimately decide which model I should buy and I don't want to change phone every three months.
You're welcome Petr. I think it's a big mistake if you go for a all-in one perfect phone. You just gotta comprise one aspect of the phone and go for your most desirable features. With so many featured new models coming out it hard to choose. You must decide if you want your phone to be of great design. And if you like the Xperia Z then go for it. Otherwise you can go for HTC. Good luck.
 
And what do you do with all those phones when get new ones every three months?! I would be pretty happy with some of those you know........:D
Userlevel 7
Hi Amit, what do you do here in the nighttime of your time, moreover when celebrating your New Year. Shut down your computer, grab delicious foods and drinks and celebrate :D
 
@Amit wrote:
And what do you do with all those phones when get new ones every three months?
I meant that if I would buy every mobile that I want I would be changing it every three months but I don't want to do that. So I rather wait with my choice :D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Amit, what do you do here in the nighttime of your time, moreover when celebrating your New Year. Shut down your computer, grab delicious foods and drinks and celebrate :D
 
@Amit wrote:
And what do you do with all those phones when get new ones every three months?
I meant that if I would buy every mobile that I want I would be changing it every three months but I don't want to do that. So I rather wait with my choice :D
Oh no worries. Our festivities start from sunrise. I've enjoyed and now got home to take some rest. Maybe attend to some guests. I'll join the festivals again. The festivites goes throughtout the day. Wonderful time.
 
I misunderstood there. For a moment I thought I would get some galaxy 4 and HTCs from the throwaways, Petr. 😃
Userlevel 7
@Amit wrote:
[As HTC's new flagship smartphone, the HTC One is packed to the rafters with top-notch components and technologies including some of the latest processing gear from Qualcomm. In addition to being state of the art, the successor to 2012's HTC One X is lovingly crafted from premium metals, leaving no doubt that the Taiwanese smartphone manufacturer has put a considerable amount of blood, sweat, and tears into this handset.]
 
Read here http://reviews.cnet.com/htc-one/
 
 


I have my HTC One on reserve at Best Buy! I am getting their best protection so if I ever drop it, if the screen cracks, or if I simply want to switch the color, I can take it into Best Buy for a replacement (with no deductible). :D
 
Should I start off with white or black?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Should I start off with white or black?
Mike, I would grab the white one, it looks more luxurious than ordinary black. Moreover it won't be so spotty from fingers.
Userlevel 7
That's what I was thinking! And if I decide it gets splotchy or dirty too easily, I can just replace it at Best Buy unlimited times.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for your input!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
That's what I was thinking! And if I decide it gets splotchy or dirty too easily, I can just replace it at Best Buy unlimited times.
It looks like as a very good deal with Best Buy!
Userlevel 6
Hi, guys.  A few questions about the HTC One:
 
1.  Mike, what's the price at Best Buy?
 
2.  Which carriers can you use the HTC One with?
 
3.  What advantages/disadvantages do you see about the HTC One as compared with the Samsung Galaxy S4?
Userlevel 7
Hi Richard,
 
Hope everything's alright with you in NY.
 
As for your questions, sorry I can't speak for 1. and 2., it's different here in EU. Regarding your last question I kindly draw your attention to this comprehensive comparison. It should answer all your questions about the both devices and their pros and cons.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi, guys.  A few questions about the HTC One:
 
1.  Mike, what's the price at Best Buy?
 
2.  Which carriers can you use the HTC One with?
 
3.  What advantages/disadvantages do you see about the HTC One as compared with the Samsung Galaxy S4?
1. $199.99 (32GB)
2. HTC One Availability
 
3. I think the performance and speed will be about the same. The quality of the HTC One looks amazing compared to the S4 and I think the Ultra Pixel camera looks amazing. The S4 does have Gorilla 3 glass whereas the HTC has the older and weaker Gorilla 2 (I can just replace the phone over and over if my screen cracks so this doesn't really affect me). Also, the HTC has better sound quality with the built in speakers.
Userlevel 7
@MikeR
Good going. HTC One white is awesome. I agree with Petr's suggestion. 🙂
Userlevel 7
I am literally counting down the days! My phone is causing quite the headache (shuts down randomly, sends texts to the wrong person, and goes to the home screen after entering 70% of a phone number I want to call).
 
:8
Userlevel 7
Oh no! You better change right away.
Userlevel 6
Hi, Mike.
 
I assume the $199.99 is a two year contract price?  Also, I'm surprised Verizon is not listed as a carrier.  Man, that's a great looking device.  I'm a Samsung guy, but this thing's got my attention.
Userlevel 6
Hi, Petr.  Great hearing from you, and thanks for the inquiry.  I'm fine.
 
Thanks for the comparative review.  Very helpful.  I added it to my favorites list.
 
Is everything copasetic in the Czech Republic?  How's the new President doing?
Userlevel 7
Yes, that is the 2 year contract price. I was suprised to see that T-Mobile was getting it to be honest. They may still announce Verizon availability - I personally have AT&T.
Userlevel 6
Mike, I used to be with Verizon (I was with them for years), but they started to charge for everything and I grew tired of it, so I switched to T-Mobile on a $50/month pre-paid no contract plan.  The plan is good, but in the Northeast, T-Mobile doesn't compare with Verizon insofar as reception is concerned.  In fact, Verizon has the best reception in my part of the country, bar none.  I may be switching back to Verizon because of the reception issue.  However, I'm told that my T-Mobile Samsung SII (unlocked)  is not compatible with the Verizon network, so if I switch, I'll have to buy a new phone.  Now, the question becomes, which way to go ... Samsung SIV or HTC One (assuming Verizon adopts HTC)?
Userlevel 7
I was actually thinking of switching to Verizon for the same reception issues with AT&T. Their prices are a bit steeper but I may consider the change after this contract ends.
 
I will get my HTC One on the 19th and I will let you know how I like it. I want the HTC because of the premium quality and time they took with the unique design - performance wise, I think both phones are very impressive. I think it comes down to the details like battery life and the cameras.
Userlevel 7
Hi Richard, thanks for asking. All is fine here. Our new President seems better than we have expected. time will tell ...

BTW, I vote for HTC but it's up to you.
Userlevel 6
Mike, I assume you're in Colorado?   BTW, beautiful place.  I love it out there, particularly the mountains.  I seem to recall, several years ago, when I had Verizon, making cell phone calls from the top of Veil Mountain and the reception was crystal clear.
 
Anyway, here in the Northeast, Verizon is unquestionably the king of the hill receptionwise.  They just came out with a new $50/month no contract prepaid deal, which sounds pretty good and is probably designed to compete with T-Mobile's $50/month no contract prepaid plan.  BTW, T-Mobile has announced it is abandoning its contract plans altogether.
 
Please keep us informed about the HTC One.
 
 
Userlevel 7
Yep - I am in Colorado and I work out of our Broomfield headquarters! Does the $50.00/month plan come with LTE data and unlimited texting?
Userlevel 6
I stand corrected.  I just spoke with Verizon Wireless.
 
1.  Their prepaid plans do not support 4G, only 3G.  Both the Galaxy SIV and the HTC One are 4G.  At this point, Verizon does not support HTC One.
 
2.  There are two prepaid 3G plans available from Verizon.  The $60 per month plan is unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 500 mb of internet;  the $70 per month plan is unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 2 gb of internet.  But this is for a standard phone, not a smartphone.
 
Looks like you'll need to go with a contract plan with Verizon for the Galaxy SIV and the HTC One (if and when it is supported).
 
I think I got that right.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Verizon is unquestionably the king of the hill receptionwise.  
When I was running all 48 States in an 18 wheeler Verizon was #1 for reception and I believe still is. 😉

Reply