CNET Reviews: Xbox One vs. PlayStation 4

• 15 June 2013
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7
We've still got about five months before the new Xbox One and PlayStation 4 launch in North America, and already blood has been spilled.
From Microsoft gathering an arguably more impressive stable of exclusive games, to Sony revealing the lack of restrictions on PS4 games and a $100 lower price -- effectively, not only kicking the Microsoft brand when its down, but also knocking out a few teeth.
This next console launch may be one of the most exciting and brutal yet, and I can't wait to comfortably watch from the sidelines, praising Thor I'm not in either of their shoes.

Hardware
The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 house very similar silicon inside their respective bodies, with a few key differences.
According to an exhaustive analysis by Digital Foundry, the biggest difference between the two systems' hardware is the type of RAM each uses. The PlayStation 4 uses 8GB GDDR5 RAM, while all signs point to the Xbox One using 8GB of DDR3 RAM. The GDDR5 RAM used in the PlayStation 4 is the same type of RAM used by most PC video cards and is optimized for graphical throughput.

Richard Leadbetter at Digital Foundry speculates that the PS4's GPU could have as much as 50 percent more raw graphical computational power than the one in the Xbox One. That, coupled with its faster graphics memory, may translate into prettier games on the PS4.
Judging from the demos shown at both Microsoft's and Sony's press conferences, it's difficult to say which system displayed more impressive real-time graphics. Both Final Fantasy XV (or is it Final Fantasy Versus XIII?) and The Order displayed incredibly impressive real-time cut-scenes on the PS4.
Possibly better than anything I saw on the Xbox One during Microsoft's press conference, but it's hard to say for sure having not actually played any of the games and having so far only seen them from hundreds of feet away on giant, but not nearly giant enough, screens.
Once I've had some hands-on time with plenty of games this week, I'll do another update on this post.

Read here.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!