computer automatically restarts after shutdown

• 13 June 2016
  • 1 reply

When I shut down using the windows start menu, the computer automatically restarts after about 3 minutes.  I have to pull the plug to keep it from restarting.  Even after a hard shutdown (using the on/off button) it still restarts.  What is causing this and how do I correct it?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi azacat

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I have heard of this happening before but it is somewhat rare. Please take a look at this thread from the MS Support Forums which may well assist you, especially if you are running Windows 7. If running a differnet version then please post back to advise which.

If that does not help then it may well be related to either the BIOS or hardware, so try the following:

1. Switch off your computer as you usually do. Then before it powers up again remove the power cable from the power supply. Wait a couple of minutes and plug the cable back in.

2. Should the PC restart enter the BIOS menu & check the energy options; there can be some options to power on the computer after power cut. Check these out. 

3. Is your PSU (Power Supply Unit) making any strange noises while powered down? What can transpire in relation to 2. is that the PSU has problems in keeping power going in a stable fashion & so the BIOS thinks that there was a power cut after a shut down.

I am not saying that any of the above are 100% certs for your issue but hopefully they give you something to consider/investigate.

Regards, Baldrick