Control Panel will be phased out in Windows 10

  • 9 October 2015
  • 69 replies
  • 7985 views

Userlevel 7
Badge +51
October 9, 2015  By Arun Kumar 
 
The Control Panel had been an integral part of Windows since the beginning and helped in tweaking and customizing the operating system. In a tweet by Gabriel Aul, the chief of Windows Insider Program, he said that Control Panel will be removed from Windows 10 in coming days.
 
http://news.thewindowsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/PC-Settings-in-Windows-10-400x299.png
 
Full Article

69 replies

Userlevel 7
Now THAT would be the main reason I would consider reverting to Windows 7.  I prefer the easy to find whatever I need icon set of the full Control Panel, not the 'Category Settings' style Windows 10 brings up by default.  It takes me much longer to find exactly what I am looking for 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +51
I agree David, I much prefer the full Control Panel, it is what we learnt with and it is easy to find things.
Userlevel 7
Badge +58
Geeze I can't believe that..I don't think anyone will like that at all! 😞
One more reason to keep Windows 7 and not upgrade to 10 (Not that I needed any, I think 7 is far better than 8.1/10).
I have reverted half a dozen computers back to 7 for friends/family because they regretted updating.
 
I wonder if all of the settings in Control Panel will still be accessible via some other manner?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
One more reason to keep Windows 7 and not upgrade to 10 (Not that I needed any, I think 7 is far better than 8.1/10).
I have reverted half a dozen computers back to 7 for friends/family because they regretted updating.
 
I wonder if all of the settings in Control Panel will still be accessible via some other manner?
All I know is that there are some settings I have tried to find in the new settings panel and just plain could not... I had to use the Control Panel to find them.  If they are taking away the old comfortable Control Panel, the new Settings Panel needs a good bit of work done to it first IMHO.
That's gotta be right up there with getting rid of the Start button. So I guess we can expect the return of the control panel in Windows 11?
Userlevel 7
Badge +51
@ wrote:
That's gotta be right up there with getting rid of the Start button. So I guess we can expect the return of the control panel in Windows 11?
Except one important point to note, unless I have misread it there will be no W11, W10 is the last one, it will just be updated like the other OS's.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
That's gotta be right up there with getting rid of the Start button. So I guess we can expect the return of the control panel in Windows 11?
Except one important point to note, unless I have misread it there will be no W11, W10 is the last one, it will just be updated like the other OS's.
@ that is my understanding to.. that they plan to NOT issue another OS, just provide updates as they are ready for distribution.
 
They are moving in the direction of Software as a Service type model.  WSA essentially is the same.. we did not get a 2014 or 2015 version really... but we HAVE gotten new features and updates, improvements.
Userlevel 7
Another harebrained 'cunning plan'? LOL...I was just thinking exactly what ? said (about Start button antics), and they will likely replace it when people have been howling disapproval for long enough in a future iteration of wonderful Windows without numbers.  
 
Why don't they just ask their users what they want before they make silly decisions, and end up wasting time and money?  
Or it's all not about what the users (customers) want?  
 
@

Glad to see that someone got my point. 🙂
Userlevel 7
? I'd say most of us agreed with your point, and Jasper was just showing how there will be no W11 or 12 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +51
That is right Dermot.
I expect there are quite a few people who read this don't realise that W10 in the last OS apart from the updates. We have to bare those in mind when replying to these posts.
In response to your earlier comment ? (and they will likely replace it when people have been howling disapproval for long enough in a future iteration of wonderful Windows without numbers.  ) I hope it does not take them as long to bring it back as it did for the Start Button.
It is almost as if it is run by youngsters and they forget about those who learnt using the older systems, change for the sake of change is not always a good thing.
Userlevel 7
@ and as well as neglecting and forgetting about all the desktop PC and laptops with mice etc. users, regarding all that as 'played out', they seem to take it for granted that everyone will inevitably go the BYOD, Mobile route for most browsing....never for me, and you just don't have the functionality/versatility of a good laptop or PC. 
 
But also they seek to manipulate users into the device usage, OS etc they want to establish as the standard way. 
@ wrote:
It is almost as if it is run by youngsters and they forget about those who learnt using the older systems, change for the sake of change is not always a good thing.

 
Userlevel 7
Badge +51
@ wrote:
@ and as well as neglecting and forgetting about all the desktop PC and laptops with mice etc. users, regarding all that as 'played out', they seem to take it for granted that everyone will inevitably go the BYOD, Mobile route for most browsing....never for me, and you just don't have the functionality/versatility of a good laptop or PC. 
 
But also they seek to manipulate users into the device usage, OS etc they want to establish as the standard way. 
@ wrote:
It is almost as if it is run by youngsters and they forget about those who learnt using the older systems, change for the sake of change is not always a good thing.

 
Precisely  and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out, I think they are in the process of shooting themselves in the foot again.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Precisely  and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out, I think they are in the process of shooting themselves in the foot again.
Lol...I think that's about the size of it! :D   They never stopped the 'escaped steamtrain' when many were warning them about various parts of W8, and didn't listen then, and they're still not...we'll see.  
 
I'm not going near W10 for a while yet, if ever, and W7 support goes to 2020 (incl dodgy telemetry updates lol). 
 
Userlevel 7
Badge +51
I don't mind W10 however I loved W7 and sometimes wished they had stuck with that one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +58
I'm going to jump in here ok? I have both W 10 which I like it alot and on my Laptop I have W 7 PRo and I like using the Windows Media Center for those silly games and for photos. Some things you get used to and changes are never easy! ;) 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I don't mind W10 however I loved W7 and sometimes wished they had stuck with that one.
In fairness we must not forget that they have also made substantial security improvements in OSs since W7. 
 
 
Userlevel 7
Better get used to it people...this will not be the last such change to rock WIndows 10 and move it away from previous versions.
 
I am surely not a fan but that is the way of the world...according to Microsoft. :(
 
Userlevel 7
There is always a chance though that if enough complain, it might be reverted. We got out Start Menu back (sort of...)
Userlevel 7
True, but after 75 millon installs (which is way more than Windows 😎 they may see that as an endorsement of their approach...but who knows.
@ wrote:
 
 
I'm not going near W10 for a while yet, if ever, and W7 support goes to 2020 (incl dodgy telemetry updates lol). 
I'm with you. I'm staying with 7. I have Windows 10 from the Insider program on another PC. I don't care for it all. I was disappointed to see that Microsoft had doubled-down on the whole Windows 8 look and feel, optimized more for tablet users. Hopefully by 2020 we'll have totally new choices.
Userlevel 7
Well, it is a free world..and I personally would not revert to Windows 7. ;)
@ wrote:
Well, it is a free world..and I personally would not revert to Windows 7. ;)
Just curious, would that be for security reasons or because you like the functionality/look of Windows 10 more?
 
 
Userlevel 7
Both, BurnDaddy, both points that you mention.
 
Security is very important of course, but I do like the look and feel of Windows 10...and it seems lighter and faster than either Windows 7 or 8/8.1. Yes, a few minor idiosyncrasies but then what new version does not have them in some measure...but nothing I get not get my head around and work with...I am even liking the Start Menu now that i have gotten it configured just so...so much so...that it may even be better than the Windows 7 one (oh, the sacrilege ;))
 
Baldrick

Reply