Control Panel will be phased out in Windows 10

Show first post

69 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I  am just a boring old ----. mine is very original and called God Mode.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Master_Control_Panel_shortcut  😃
I am SO glad I saw this article - I've been getting the "upgrade to windows 10" popup for the last week or so and just put off upgrading from 7.  Now I know to keep ignoring it and stick with 7 - take away the control panel? How ridiculous!
Userlevel 7
Well, whilst it may well be a bit of a wrench for some...I strongly suspect that what will replace it will be better. I personally rearley use the Control Panel itself prefering to get to where I am going by using the search features to find and go right to the item required.

But as I said...some will be unhappy...but then again some where unhappy when Win 95 went, etc. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
However, the Control Panel is still available on Windows 10 by Right Clicking the Windows Start Button, and choosing Control Panel from the List!

Userlevel 7
I think that this option will also be dispensed with, Lyle...they will get ride of everything including the underlying code.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Haven't seen anyone write it here but you can get some sort of control panel to open up by hitting the windows X combo.
It's not like in Windows 7 but it shows more then you can find in the windows 10 control panel
Userlevel 7
I believe that is what Lyle referred to in his post two above yours...but I believe that as it is a reference to the Control Panel as and when they fully dispense with the Control Panel that option will disappear from there too.

As foe the rest of the contents of that context menu it is just a regrouping of other menus and options that where somewhere else in previous vrsions of Windows...so nothing really new in that...unfortunately.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? that's true about the screen called up with a right-click on the windows button or by pressing the Windows X combo ( see below and sorry for a dutch look as i'm running a Dutch UI on my windows 10 )

But hit the option i marked here and it will show you the good ole style Windows 7 config screen where you can find the goodies.

This is taken from a Windows 10 ( see below )

Userlevel 7
Indeed it is but as I said before even that will go if MS get rid of the Control Panel...what would be the point of having a link to a feature that no longer exists. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Maybe it 'll go the day they design a solid OS that doesn't require a ton of patches every day to be secure & bug free
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Maybe it 'll go the day they design a solid OS that doesn't require a ton of patches every day to be secure & bug free
Well, I do not know what OS you are running but my version of Win 10 is rarely patched and when it is it is done quickly, quietly and effciently. The OS is also the most secure version of Windows yet.

And as for 'bug free'...well, given how little time since launch I think that MS have done a great job in terms of minimising bugs (granted they have the Insider Preview members to thank for this...but MS must take credit for starting the program).

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I have to agree on the fact Windows 10's far better then what we have had before. But if like you said it'll go then what are they going to do with it because the way Windows 10's set up it's a bit difficult to find everything if you were used to Windows 7 or older.
Userlevel 7
Regardless of what one thinks about Windows10 at the moment, it is supposedly the last Windows... if things go as it has been indicated they will simply just keep updating Windows10 as improvements or changes are coded and tested instead of gearing up to a full new release.

What a novel thought.... they must have seen how well that is working for Webroot and decided to copy the model 🙂
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I have to agree on the fact Windows 10's far better then what we have had before. But if like you said it'll go then what are they going to do with it because the way Windows 10's set up it's a bit difficult to find everything if you were used to Windows 7 or older.
I actually find it easier to find things in Win 10 than in Win 7, given that the search features are so much better in the former when compared to the latter, and I suspect that thos who hark to Win 7 have either not really taken the trouble to check out Win 10 or are just jumping on the old 'comfy slipper' trolleybus, as usual...;)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
I actually find it easier to find things in Win 10 than in Win 7, given that the search features are so much better in the former when compared to the latter, and I suspect that thos who hark to Win 7 have either not really taken the trouble to check out Win 10 or are just jumping on the old 'comfy slipper' trolleybus, as usual...;)
I am still struggling with Windows 10 to be honest @ my good friend.  The default Settings area from the Start Menu is a bit of a disaster for me still.

You are quite right in that the Search function to find a setting works very well, though one has to know just what to CALL what they are looking for.  That will make things harder for newer users not as familiar with all of the current Control Panel settings.

I think the Settings DOES have huge potential, but they need to find a way to easier find the items not currently listed within it.
Userlevel 7
Well, David, I have managed to configure the new Start Menu to just how I want it and in all honesty it beats the Win 7 version hands down.

One just needs to think it all through before venturing into any configuration activities.

Regards, baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Well, David, I have managed to configure the new Start Menu to just how I want it and in all honesty it beats the Win 7 version hands down.

One just needs to think it all through before venturing into any configuration activities.

Regards, baldrick
I am getting there LOL.  It has taken a bit of time, but the more I use Windows 10 the more I like it.  I am glad I stayed with it instead of rolling back to WIndows 7.  I am almost ready to go ahead and remove the stored rollback files!
Userlevel 7
Well, David, do let me know if you need any help with it...always happy to help. ;)