Day 2 (Officially Day 1, Really) at Computex: All about Intel?

• 5 June 2013
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Yesterday, during the unofficial first day of Computex 2013 in Taipei, companies like Acer and Asus used the time to start the show with a bang before it even began. Asus was the one to really steal the show when it presented a slew of new devices, none more interesting than the Android/Windows 8 hybrid Transformer Book Trio.

So what about today, the official first day of Computex? Mostly, it was about Intel and their new line of Haswell processors. And yet, the bigger story may be that mobile manufacturers are finally opening up to Intel's portable CPU's, according to a PC World article.

"While Intel has notched a few Android smartphone wins on its post, it was never able to convince a big manufacturer to take a stab at a proper Atom-powered Android tablet-until Computex, that is. And at Computex, it landed one of the biggest fish swimming around in the Android ocean: Samsung."

That device is Samsung's 10.1 inch flagship model due sometime in June. More than just Samsung, it also sounds like Asus is embracing Intel as well, with the aforementioned Transformer, Memo Pad FHD, and the six in Fonepad Note phablet may be come equipped with Intel's Clover Trail processors. Click the aforementioned link to read the full story.

(Source: PC World)

I'd like to know what all you Community users/readers think about Intel's future with mobile devices? Are they going to catch on?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
I think 5 inch would be my max... but a 4 might be better. Medium sized arthritic hands here
Userlevel 7
@DavidP wrote:
LOL Roy! Don't get me wrong... I want a big screen, its just that there is a limit on it to be still comfortable to use as a phone. I have to be able to hold it and dial with the same hand.
It depends how your hand is large. A one friend of mine (a smith by profession) can handle a 10,1 inch device easily in one hand. I have problems with 5 inch already.
Userlevel 7
LOL Roy! Don't get me wrong... I want a big screen, its just that there is a limit on it to be still comfortable to use as a phone. I have to be able to hold it and dial with the same hand.
Userlevel 7
I remember back in the day people used to slag me over how big and silly my Nokia ngage was. Now who is laughing! Me thats who 😃
Userlevel 7
OH I think so.  I am not liking the "phablet" type to be honest.. I want a more reasonalby sized device for phone use so the really big screen phones are not for me.  But that aforementioned Asus "Transformer" sounds great.  

AnTel may be the WinTel of the future 🙂